As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Is the Best Air Purifier on the Market?
Did you know that the air in our homes is twice more polluted than the air outside? Although it sounds unreasonable, many studies confirm this. It’s because there is a lot of dust, tobacco smoke, dirt we bring from outside on our shoes or on pet’s legs (if having a pet), and pet hair (if having a pet). These factors make our space not completely hygienic and good for our health.
While cleaning the home removes these contaminators from the floor and surfaces, it doesn’t purify the air. Using air perfume, as in many cases, only gives a fresh and pleasant smell to the air. So, what can we do about it?
Fortunately, there are air purifiers. These devices fight the dirt and dust floating in the air, thus cleaning the environment quickly and efficiently, In this way, they ensure we have a better-quality life.
What’s great about these devices, apart from being super-efficient, is that they come in various models. Hence, there’s a perfect model for everyone. Moreover, there are air purifiers of different use, with different power; from those that purify the air in one room to those that can clean an entire floor.
Below, you can find a comparison of the 10 best air purifiers on the market. Please, take a good look at them, their characteristics, and the differences between each of them to choose the model that best suits your needs and your home.
Comparison of the Best Air Cleaners in 2020
Which Air Purifier to Buy?
Top 10 Best Quality Home Air Purifiers
- 4 IN 1 AIR PURIFIER FOR HOME : True HEPA air filter reduces up to 99.97% of harmful germs, dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, and other allergens as small as .3 microns from the air
- KILLS GERMS : UV-C light helps kill airborne viruses such as influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds
- TRAPS ALLERGENS : Pre filter traps dust, pet hair, and other large particles while extending the life of the HEPA filter
- REDUCES ODORS : Activated charcoal filter helps to reduce unwanted odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes, and more
- QUIET OPERATION The lowest setting can be used as gentle white noise at night for a quiet, restful sleep
- ✔️ AIR PURIFIER FOR ALLERGIES AND PETS: True-HEPA H13 charcoal filter captures 99.97% of dust and allergens as small as 0.3 microns such as airborne pollutants; pet dander, pollen, dust mites, mold spores, odors, and household dust.
- ✔️ 5 LEVELS OF POWERFUL FILTRATION: This model features 5 levels advanced filtration to provide the cleanest air quality. A combination filter cartridge includes a mesh pre-filter, HEPA H13 activated carbon filter, plus a UV light and Ion generator work to sanitize the air even further.
- ✔️ TRUE HEPA FILTRATION: High quality air purifier with True HEPA H13 filter captures 99.97% of dust & allergens up to 0.3 microns including ultra-fine dust, smoke, pet dander, etc.
- ✔️ CLEAN AIR IONIZER: The SilverOnyx HEPA air purifier with ionizer, UV sanitizer, and activated carbon filter. The world's best air purification technologies to provide the freshest air. A PM2.5 (particulate matter) sensor automatically adjusts air flow to ensure the highest quality air.
- ✔️ RELATED: Silveronyx Air Purifier for Home Allergies and Pets extra large 500 sq ft room aire purificador airpurifers airpurifiers bedroom best carbon clean cleaner cleaners cleans dander dust eliminator feet filter filters filtration germ hepa indoor ionizer machine mildew mold odor office onyx ozone pet portable purifer purifers purifiers quiet remover replacement rooms silver small smoke smokers square system true uv work
- PREMIUM QUALITY - HEPA filter captures dust and allergens as tiny as .3 microns to remove household dust, pet dander, mold spores, pollen, bacteria, germs and PM2.5 particles. Ideal for anyone who suffers from allergies and asthma or looking to create a cleaner healthier home. This product comes with a 2-year registered warranty and lifetime support from VEVA.
- ELIMINATE ODORS - Premium activated carbon pre-filters remove odors from pets, smoking, cooking and more. Use activated charcoal nano-technology to provide fresh clean air throughout a large room.
- SUPERIOR VALUE - This complete air cleaner system includes a HEPA Filter along with 4 Precut Activated Carbon Pre-Filters. This complete set eliminates the need to cut, clean or vacuum pre-filters and extends the life of the main HEPA filter. The VEVA 8000 offers the most affordable HEPA replacement filters of any air purifier. It also has the longest lasting filters on the market that only need to be changed every 6-12 months depending on usage.
- PERFECT FOR HOME OR OFFICE - The VEVA 8000 features an innovative and sleek design that guarantees the air purifier to be the perfect addition to any home or office. It can be changed from a tower air purifier to a table-top air purifier by removing the base. 3-Stage Fan Speed ranges from Ultra Quiet to Turbo. Measures 9" x 8" x 23".
- SAFE FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY - 100% Ozone free, does not use UV or Ions which produce trace amounts of measurable ozone, a harmful air pollutant. ETL Certified and tested by Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories to UL Standard. Has an automatic shut-off safety feature when the front panel is removed, making it safe for homes with a baby, cat or dog.
- Designed in California. The UV-C Light and Anion that other Brands adopt to purify air could produce a kind of air pollutant-Ozone, which is especially harmful for the children and Asthma sufferers. Levoit air purifiers never use these for 100% Ozone free
- More Than Double Efficiency: 2 Pack option is warmly prepared to meet your larger air purifying areas demand, with cost-effective price compared with other same price air purifier just 1 Pack. They can also be used in different room, no more moving your machine here and there
- Advanced 3-Stage Filtration System: The Pre-Filter, True HEPA Filter, and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter capture allergens, pet hair, dander, smoke, mold, odor and large dust particles, in addition to removing 99. 97% of airborne contaminants as small as 0. 3 microns. The 3-in-1 filtration system effectively improves indoor air quality so you can enjoy fresh air at home
- Noise Level- ≤ 50dB. Effective Range- ≤ 129 ft² (12 m²)
- High-Efficiency Air Purifier: Circulates room air over 4 times per hour to achieve rapid purification. Unique size and contemporary design make the Levoit air purifier suitable for small or medium-sized rooms, like offices and dorms
- 4 in 1 Desktop Air Purifier: True HEPA air filter reduces up to 99.97% of harmful germs, dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns from the air
- Compact design: 11 Inch tabletop purifier is perfect for smaller rooms or offices and fits great in small spaces
- Kills germs: UV C light helps kill airborne viruses such as Influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds
- Traps allergens: pre filter traps dust, pet hair, and other large particles while extending the life of the HEPA filter
- Reduces odors: activated charcoal filter helps to reduce unwanted odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes, and more
- Wide Coverage: Enjoy fresh air in only 30 minutes in rooms as large as 1076ft², and 15 minutes in rooms as large as 538 ft². Maximum benefits 538 ft².
- Quiet Environment: The air purifier makes as little noise as 25dB on its lowest setting, so it doesn’t disturb you while you rest
- Safe & Certified: CARB Certified, FCC Certified, ETL Listed, and Energy Star Certified
- Professional Air Care: Breathe in air that’s free of 99. 97% of 0. 3 micron airborne particles such as dust, and pollen The activated carbon filter absorbs cooking odors, household odors, smoke, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
- Ideal for Allergies and Pet Owners: The H13 grade True HEPA Filter reduces pet odors, and traps pet fur and other contaminants It also helps relieve allergies by capturing airborne contaminants such as dust, pet dander, pollen, and mold.
- True-HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns.
- 3 Stage cleaning, removes a range of allergens: dust, cigarette smoke, pollen, odors, pet dander, mold spores and organic chemicals. CFM (Sleep / Low / Med / High / Turbo) : 35.31 / 70.63 / 91.82 / 123.60 / 240.14
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants - with no harmful ozone
- Delivered air flow :236 CFM, decibels : 27.8 . Smart Sensor gauges the air and our Auto Mode adjusts the fan to filter the air as needed; with a sleep mode for silent night-time operation
- No remote control . CADR rated for 360 sq. ft. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kids bedrooms, baby nurseries and offices
- 3-STAGE AIR PURIFICATION: Clean and sanitize your air from 99.97% of dust, pollen, pet dander, smoke, and household odors. Stage 1: Pre-filter; Stage 2: Activated carbon filter; Stage 3: True HEPA filter.
- BUILT-IN UV-C LIGHT: Adds a deeper level of air sanitation by destroying illness-causing microorganisms
- 100% OZONE FREE: PureZone never uses ionizers or ozone generators to help keep you safe from lung-related illnesses.
- ENERGY-EFFICIENT & EASY TO USE: Using touch-button technology, select between 3 automatic timer settings to save energy or run continuously after choosing one of 3 fan speeds.
- WHAT YOU GET: 3-in-1 air purifier, 3-in-1 filter, UV-C light bulb and Pure Enrichment’s guaranteed 5-Year Warranty. Our customer support team provides daily quality service and peace of mind to millions worldwide all from a brand you can trust.
- 3-Part Filtration System Captures 99% of Common Airborne PM 2.5 Pollutants Such As Allergens, Odors, Smoke, Mold Spores, Dust Mites and Pet Dander
- Activated carbon filter removes common odors caused by smoke, pets, cooking, dorm room smells and gases (VOCs) as well as smoke caused by wildfires.
- Washable pre-filter captures large particles such as dust and pet hair and can be changed to match any décor. Dark blue and grey pre-filters are included and other colors can be purchased separately
- Designed for small to medium rooms between 100 square feet. And 175 square feet. (AHAM rated at 161 square feet) make this purifier perfect for small bedrooms, offices, nurseries and dorm rooms. Air inlet – 360 degree
- Energy star rated for best in class energy performance. All filters are recyclable and suggested to be replaced every 6 months depending on use. Energy consumption - 1.5 - 10 W
What Should You Consider When Looking for an Air Purifier?
1. HEPA filters
HEPA filter technology is one of the features that makes sure an air purifier properly cleans the air. Thanks to this feature, these devices can filter allergens, fumes, contamination, dust, and even pet hair. In that way, they ensure clean and pure environment for the whole family. These filters need to be changed or cleaned from time to time for long-lasting cleaning capacity and proper function of the purifier
2. Power adjustment
There are different levels of contamination. Thanks to the power adjustment feature, we can set the purifying capacity of the device to meet those levels and get the most out of it. Moreover, some models also indicate the air quality and the recommended power (through a sensor) of performance.
Household appliances usually emit some noise while operating. Many of the models we recommend in this comparison have a noise-reduction feature for a bigger comfort of the user. If you want to find out more about the noise of this product, you can check the customer reviews – some users may have mentioned how quiet or loud the air purifier is. It will help you determine which model is right for you.
4. Cleaning capacity
Air purifiers come with different cleaning capacities. From those that can clean only one room to those that can clean an entire apartment or a smaller house. This is especially important for those living in a bigger home since buying a model with great cleaning capacity will prevent additional costs on a second product. So, think about the space you want to be purified in order to determine which model suits your needs best.
What Is an Air Purifier?
An air purifier is a device that eliminates pollutants from the air in your home or office. It’s a must-have for every home since we live in a world with polluted air. Moreover, there are other sources of pollution in our home, such as dust, dirt we bring from outside, and so on.
These devices are especially important for people suffering from asthma-related problems or allergies because it allows them to breathe better. The filters integrated into the air cleaners eliminate all the dust, smoke, pollen, and other factors that can cause breathing problems.
So, if you are looking for a way to improve your medical condition or just increase the living quality in your home or workplace, you know what should be on the top of your shopping list.
What Is Air-Purifying Filter Used for?
As their name suggests, they filter the contaminants from the air, thus providing better-quality air. They also increase the thermal comfort of the environment. That’s why every home should have an air purifier, especially where there are babies, kids, older people, and people with allergies or asthma. Plus, they can be used along with other air conditioning devices, such as air conditioners or dehumidifiers.
Additionally, they clean the air from the unintended harmful effects caused by air-conditioners. Weird, right?
You probably wonder what an air-conditioner has to do with air contamination. The thing is that by maintaining a pleasant temperature in our home, these devices unwittingly give micro-organisms (viruses, dust mites, fungi, and bacteria) room to spread. It’s because temperatures between 19 and 23 (the ones we set during summer) are perfect for promoting the growth of bacteria and other unwanted microbes.
That’s where air purifiers come. They clean the air from all those germs without affecting the work of the air-conditioner. Plus, it provides users with ideal freshness.
Advantages of Using an Air Cleaner
Using an air cleaner has many advantages as it ensures clean and fresh air to the people living or working in the place where it operates. Here are several of them:
- They clean the air from harmful particles and impurities that can cause allergies and asthma.
- They suck the smoke that might impede visual clarity or easy breathing.
- They remove approximately 99% of dust particles larger than 0.3 microns.
- They remove various types of pollutants, including dust, animal hair, and pollen.
By performing all these functions, air cleaners significantly optimize air quality and people’s breathing. At the same time, they fight allergies and other issues that might interfere with people’s well-being.
How does an Air-Purifying Device Work?
Air-purifying devices first need to be mounted. Then, you place them at a particular location in your home (usually the living room). After that, you turn it on/off to start or stop the purification process.
In terms of the size of pollutants, it depends on the type of filter integrated into the device. Once filtered, the purified air is released into the environment. The cycle of air transformation is constant to maintain air purity.
How to Choose the Best Air Purifier?
Many people with respiratory problems like asthma or allergies as well as everyone else should live in a clean and healthy environment with proper atmospheric conditions (temperature, purity, etc.). Having in mind that we spend most of our time in closed spaces, it’s essential to use an air purifier and choose a good one as this will ensure a better quality of life.
In order to choose the best air purifying filter, we have listed some of the important features you should consider before opting for an air cleaner and how they are suitable for users.
The cleaning capacity refers to how much space an air cleaner can cover. It’s not the same to clean 430 square feet and 969 square feet space. That’s why you must crosscheck the cleaning capacity of the air purifying device before buying it.
The size of the space is another aspect to consider when choosing an air cleaner. It’s because the bigger it is, the more power the device needs to function. In order to have a bigger power, the air purifier has to be bigger. For instance, an air purifier that is higher than 31 inches isn’t suitable for 430 square feet homes. Hence, you will have to take into consideration the size of your home to determine the size of the purification device.
This factor refers to high-end air cleaners. The devices that have this “feature” can work independently. They can perform various functions, even measure dirt in the environment. Keep in mind that they are quite expensive. Nonetheless, they are worth their price.
Home air purifiers have different operating speeds. They usually have a night mode, turbo mode, and intermediate mode. Hence, you can set their speed according to your needs. For instance, if your home has been closed for a long time, without any form of purification, it’s best to use the turbo mode. It’s because at this speed, it maximizes the device’s performance and filters the air as quickly as possible. The night mode, on the other hand, is fantastic because it doesn’t produce any sound.
Activated Carbon Layer
The activated carbon layer is responsible for removing aromatic particles. When carbon mixes with oxygen, the pores in the atoms open, thus eliminating any odor and pollutants from the air.
To enjoy this feature, you need to choose an air purifier with a carbon layer. However, this depends on your needs and budget.
Most low-end air purifying filters have this function as it’s essential for cleaning the air. It emits negatively charged ions that bind to positive particles (the most harmful to human health) to minimize their impact in your home or workspace. Bit, keep in mind that not all low-end filters have this function when choosing one.
Not all air cleaners have programming systems, so you must distinguish them from the computerized ones if you want to buy the computerized ones. This is important because programmable air cleaners have many benefits. One of them is the option to have them clean the air at a specific time(s) of the day. Plus, they automatically switch themselves off after performing their job. Using this type of air cleaners gives you the freedom to decide when and for how long you want to use the device. This feature is convenient for control and home optimization.
Maintenance is basically how you care for your air cleaner by cleaning and replacing the filters.
One of the things to consider when it comes to maintaining these devices are the filters. Some air purifiers have interchangeable filters while others have washable filters. If you want a device with replaceable ones, it’s very important to know the duration of the filter and the price as you will have to buy new ones from time to time. If you don’t want to check the filters all the time, you should consider models with indicators that notify you when the filter needs to be replaced or washed.
Another thing to consider is the ease of cleaning and changing the filters. This determines how easy or hard the filters are for cleaning/replacing. Choosing filters that are easy to clean/replace will allow you to do it quickly and without much trouble, referring to disassembling the device.
If you don’t want sky-high electricity bills, you should consider the energy consumption of the purifier. Take into consideration that these devices work every day, most of the day, so choosing a model with lower energy consumption is better for your wallet.
The energy consumption of these devices depends on several factors, including duration of use, energy-saving feature, etc. However, air purifying filters usually don’t consume much energy when working. Their usual usage is below 100W, so energy consumption is not something to worry about when choosing your air-purifying device.
Some air purifiers can be moved from one room to another. This feature comes handy when you need to use a single purifier in various rooms. If this is the case, you should go for one that is small and looks elegant to prevent overloading the area and tripping. For smooth and easy transfer, most portable purifiers have wheels and a handle. However, you mustn’t forget how important the size of the device and the area where you will use it, so you can create the right balance between these two aspects.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.