What Is the Best Bicycle Mount on the Market?
Isn’t it difficult to have a hobby today with the fast-paced life we have? It surely is as we can’t find time to dedicate to it. Apart from time, it’s also hard to find a special place for the gear you use for your hobby. It’s because most of us live in small apartments or have a garage full of unimportant things.
The good news is that there are hobbies and hobbies. While some require a lot of space, such as a home gym, others need a piece of free space. One of the latter ones is cycling (riding a bike).
Whether you do it as a hobby or sport or use it as means of transport or just when going out with the family on Sundays, you need to keep your bike somewhere when you don’t use it. And, that, my friends, isn’t always easy. Fortunately, for bikes, that’s not a big issue as all you need is a bit of space and bike mount. Whether you have a balcony, terrace, patio, garage, or even just an entrance hall (if living in an apartment), a bicycle hanging bracket is your best ally.
Here are the best bike mounts on the market.
Comparison of the Best Bicycle Hanging Brackets in 2020
Which Bike Rack to Buy? The 10 Best-Quality Bicycle Hanging Brackets
- Hitch insert fits 2 inch receiver hitches
- Quick set carry arms "snap" into place right out of the box
- Dual compound tie down cradles & quick set straps individually secure and protect bicycles
- Internal tilt away release allows for easy lift gate access
- No wobble bolt(s) eliminates movement of rack inside of hitch
- Haul up to four bikes in your truck bed without removing any wheels
- Assembles quickly, with no tools required, and lockable cable included
- Extends from 54.5" to 66.5" without a spacer, and extends from 60.5" to 72.5" with a full-size spacer (included)
- System won't scratch truck paint--soft padding included to protect bike finish
- Can also be used away from your truck as a standalone bike rack
- Patented design fits sedans, hatchbacks, minivans, and SUV's consult manufacturer web site for specific vehicle fit information
- Side straps for increased lateral stability. Single configuration design eliminates setup hassles and headaches during installation
- Individual tie downs secure and protect bicycles
- Padded lower frame keeps bicycles away from vehicle
- Ships in certified frustration free packaging 70 pounds max capacity
- UniGrip, 2 bike system
- Mounts in 2 minutes
- Can be used with or without bedliners
- Security system provided.
- Mounts two bikes of almost any size
- Built with 100% recyclable, non-rusting materials
- Made in the USA
- Mounts two bikes of almost any size
- Quick release skewers and fork blocks mounts forward, up or back
- Complete system includes a Yakima crossbar and 2 lockable Yakima Boa bike fork mounts
- Installs and removes easily with quick-release levers (no tools or drilling required)
- 78" crossbars fit most full-sized truck beds
- Includes Yakima SKS Lock Core package to lock bikes to rack and rack system to truck
- Love it 'Till You Leave It Limited Lifetime Warranty
- SPACE-SAVING - Mount your bike in the upright position on the inside of your truck bed, freeing up 90% of your truck bed to carry other gear.
- ALL TYPES - This carrier is adjustable and can hold a bike of any shape or size.
- D-RINGS - Each clamp has built-in D-rings that provide tie-down points for a cable lock with or without the bike mounted.
- SIMPLE INSTALLATION - Easy, clamp-on installation to truck bed side rails.
- HASSLE-FREE - Hardware is included and there no drilling required.
- Demon Tailgate Pad for Mountain Bikes with Tool Pocket for Mechanic Tools/Tailgate Cover with Secure Bike Frame Straps
- Size: Large (62" wide- holds 7 bikes) for full size pickups.
- 3/4” foam pad with a heavy-duty vinyl cover on the outside (Ultra-Soft underside to protect truck tailgate paint) to protect both your bikes and your truck when shuttling to the top of your favorite trail.
- Tailgate handle access flap allows the tailgate to be opened while the Demon tailgate pad is on.
- Web cinch straps secure the pad in place. Velco bike frame holders keep bikes secure- Reflective Demon United logo. Tool pockets to keep necessary trail equipment.
- Locking hard mount for 9x100mm quick release forks, two keys included
- For channel systems found in Toyota (Tundra and Tacoma), Nissan, Chevy, and GMC truck beds. Track mounting hardware included
- CNC machined 6061-t6 aluminum
- Base has two holes spaced 4. 25” apart that accept 1/4” or 6mm bolts or screws
- Footprint measures 4. 9” long, 1. 6” wide and the QR sits 2. 35” above the bottom of the base
- Overall Dimension: 59" X 23.5" X 23.5". The Bike Rack Carries up to 2 bike's - Perfect Platform Type Hitch Bike Rack
- Adjustable (sliding) wheel chocks for 2 different lengthed bikes (child or adult)
- Fits 2" trailer hitch receiver SUV VAN Truck. Easy install, instruction is not included.
- Keeps bike away from vehicle protecting your paint
- Heavy duty steel bike carrier construction
What Should You Consider before Buying a Bicycle Hanger?
Before choosing a bicycle hanger, you should know that there are two types: wall-mount and floor-anchored. Those that are mounted to the wall have a highly-secure fastening system. They are the right choice for those who want to hand their bike on the wall. On the other hand, if you have a bit more space and aren’t sure whether you want to place your bike on the wall or on the floor, we recommend the floor-anchored ones. This type of bike hangers can be used both, on the floor and the wall.
Another thing to consider is the capacity of the hanger. This refers to how many bicycles you can hang or place. There are individual bike mounts, where you can hang only one bike. Also, there are hangers that can accommodate several bicycles. Which one you choose depends on your needs. Namely, if you have only one bike at home, you should choose the individual ones. However, there is more than one bike (yours, your partners’, and your kids’ bikes), you should get the second type (multiple storage hangers). It not only is space-saving as it keeps all bikes in one place but it’s also tidier and doesn’t need much installation.
The design of bike mounts is essential, not only because of its appearance but also because it often determines the support or ease of taking your bike out. There are models with a simpler and more complex design. While it’s up to you which model you choose, the latter being the best if you want more support.
When it comes to the materials, all bike mounts are made of metal, with stainless steel being the most common. However, you should have in mind that depending on the type of support, some of their parts may have additional materials, such as plastic, foam, or rubber, to prevent damaging the bikes. Although these extra materials are very good for taking care of your bike(s), they aren’t always necessary. It depends on their type (individual and multiple) because the bikes will fit without any problem or damage.
What Is a Bicycle Mount?
Although most of you already know this, some may not so we’ll briefly explain it. A bicycle mount is a portable tool that serves as a support to pose the bicycle when not in use. It’s very useful and versatile since it’s easy to install and can be placed anywhere without taking up much space.
Types of Bicycle Hanger
There is a wide variety of bike racks for home on the market. Their function is to anchor the bikes in a very firm way. As we have already mentioned, there are two types of bike hangers: wall and floor-mounted. In fact, there are 3 types of bike racks, including:
These are embedded in the wall and feature a fixed base. Also, they incorporate a flap, which can be foldable or simply raised, that serves to catch the front wheel. They don’t take much space. But, the bicycle must be cleaned before anchoring it and the rear wheel shouldn’t touch the wall as it could mess it.
With Hooks for Hanging Bicycles
Usually, these are installed on the ceiling with the purpose of saving space. But, they can also be installed on the wall. Either way, the bicycle(s) are held vertically. These are one of the easiest bike racks to install, which is why they are the most popular type.
They can have several types of hooks:
- those that are installed directly on the ceiling or wall
- those that go on top of a crossbar embedded in the wall or ceiling and allow to anchor more than one bicycle
- hooks with pulleys, which are incorporated in a structure. This system lifts the bicycle, thus allowing it to remain hung horizontally in the air.
This type of hangers has independent storage as it consists of a tripoid base that rests on a tubular structure. It can hold more than one bicycle without any problem. Due to its base, it can be installed with rivets or screws on the ceiling or on the floor, which gives it greater firmness and weight support.
Some more complex models have a base that can be adjusted in the height. This allows it to hold several bicycles. In order to do this, you need to unscrew one end of the pressure element on the floor or ceiling.
How to Choose the Best Bicycle Mount?
After each ride or adventure with their bicycle, people (either professional athletes or hobbyists) look for a place to store their bikes. With a bicycle mount, this is no longer an issue. Therefore, before choosing the right model for you, you should take into account several features, including:
The size of the wheel will determine the type of bicycle, whether it’s a mountain, road, or touring. It also indicates your measurements, which helps you determine what type of hanger you need.
There are various materials bicycle racks are made of. Their body is usually made of metal, specifically stainless steel. In terms of the other parts, the hooks, it’s recommended not to be made of metal as they could damage the bicycle. In fact, it’s best no to have hooks because there is a risk of puncturing the tires.
Do you want a horizontal or a vertical bike rack? Well, this is really up to you and the space available. Regardless of whether you live in an apartment or have a house with a garage, it depends on how much free space there is.
As a rule of thumb, the heavier supports have greater resistance. That means they can withstand the weight of the bike without risking it fall. On the other hand, the lighter ones cause more problems as they can hold only smaller bikes. Plus, they aren’t much stable and may “drop” the bike.
Advantages of Using a Bicycle Hanging Bracket
Bicycle hanging brackets are very useful and versatile as they allow the bicycle to be placed in an ideal place. Of course, there are several other advantages of using these bike storages, including:
- Space-saving: They save a lot of space, especially in tiny places.
- Comfort: The bike(s) are comfortably anchored.
- Decoration: Bicycles can be placed in a room without affecting its aesthetics as they are pretty decorative.
- Order: They allow you to keep the space organized.
- Easy installation: They don’t need great maneuvers to be installed. You just need a drill and some ramplúgs to install your bicycle hanger on a wall, the ceiling, or the floor. Keep in mind that if you mount the bracket on the ceiling, you need a ladder.
How to Use a Bicycle Rack?
Once you have purchased a bicycle rack, you need to know how to use it properly to get the most out of this useful structure. If you haven’t had one before, here’s how to use it.
Read the Instruction Manual
Taking a good look at the user manual will allow you to better organize everything you need for the installation of your bike hanger and its use.
Have a Safety Kit
Although installing this element is very simple, it won’t hurt to have special protective equipment in hand, such as gloves and safety glasses. This will protect you from dust splashes on your eyes while drilling.
Find the Ideal Place to Hang the Bike
You can place the bike hanger in any room of your home, including the garage or basement. Regardless of the place you’ve chosen, you also need to decide upon the wall on which you’ll place the hanger. In order to find the most suitable location, you need to measure and mark the points where the holes will be opened with a pencil.
Once, you have measured and marked the points of the holes, you can start drilling. To do this, place the bit in the drill and fix the chuck well with the wrench. Place the drill on one of the marks and start drilling to open holes. Finally, you need to remove all the deposits.
Place the Ram Plugs Inside the Holes
The ram plugs are essential as they ensure the bike rack. That’s why they have to be fixed well. To place them, you just have to make a light pressure and push them using a hammer, giving several gentle hits until they enter completely.
Put the Bracket on Site
In order to do this, the holes in the bracket must be squared with the ram plugs on the wall. Then, screw the screws in each of them, using a special wrench, and tighten them very well.
Hang the Bike
Following the user manual, you can then hang the bike on the frame by carefully lifting it. The way it hangs depends on the model of the rack. Some are supported through the seat, others in the middle of the wheel, and others have hooks that hold it on its frame.
Take Advantage of the Extra Space
Using a bicycle mount allows you to save space. Since the bicycle stays on the hanger, there’s a remaining space you can use to the maximum. You can do that by placing a chair next to it or a piece of furniture to place books. You can place whatever you want as long as it fits the space.