What Is the Best Carpet Cleaner?
I think we’ll all agree if I say that keeping a house clean takes immense effort. Sometimes, no matter how much and how thoroughly you sweep, wash, or dust, dirt find its way back on the surfaces in your home. Indeed, dust seems to reproduce itself at the speed of light.
No matter how hard we try, your house, somehow, is always dirty. Cleaning is exhausting especially if you have rugs at home as the work multiplies.
If you want to cut down your choirs and have more free time, you should consider buying a carpet vacuum. These machines help you efficiently clean your carpets, thus reducing your effort and cleaning time.
In the search of ways to make my cleaning easier, I found the best carpet vacuums on the market. Now, I share them with you in this article along with all the information you should know about this product. So, let’s check it out and finally start enjoying some leisure time!
Comparison of the Best Powerful Carpet Vacuums in 2020
- Every purchase saves pets
- One pass technology with powerful suction and innovative brush design to clean on the initial pass (removes most surface debris based on visual test BTP0221)
- Powerful, multi cyclonic suction system for lasting suction that captures and keeps dirt in the bin, where it belongs
- Multi-level filtration with a washable filter helps reduce household dust and allergens. Power: 8 amps
- Lightweight design makes it easy to carry and push without sacrificing power. Automatic cord rewind no. Surface type: Bare floors, carpet, sealed hard floors, low pile carpet, stairs, upholstery
- BAGGED CANISTER VACUUM: Designed to clean all areas and surfaces of your entire home, den, kitchen, car or garage quickly and efficiently with multiple attachment tools and swivel head
- PET POWERMATE: Motorized attachment lifts stubborn pet hair, dander and dirt quickly from surfaces. Unique design eliminates hair from tangling around the brush
- ULTRA PLUSH NOZZLE: Powerful airflow for a deeper clean. Pile height adjustment is manual
- HEPA FILTER SYSTEM: Enhanced HEPA filter system traps 99.7% of debris, trapping dander and dust inside the vacuum reducing allergy-induced pollutants in the room
- ENHANCED FEATURES: 2-motor system excels in suction strength. Exclusive Stair Grip enables unit to rest on staircase
- WINDTUNNEL TECHNOLOGY: Creates suction to lift and remove surface debris and deeply embedded dirt
- HEPA MEDIA FILTER: Traps 99.7 percent of dirt, dust and pollens down to 0.3 microns
- ROOM TO ROOM CLEANING: 5 Height Adjustments to go from deep carpet to hard floors and 25 foot retractable cord
- NO SCUFF BUMPER: Protects Your furniture as you clean along edges of underneath
- WHATS IncludeD: Extension wand, crevice tool, upholstery/dusting brush, and Powered hand tool
- Powerful, Quiet Motor: Panasonic Upright Vacuum Cleaner features a powerful yet quiet 12-amp motor that delivers strong cleaning performance on berber and shag carpets, and even hardwood floors.
- HEPA Filtration: The HEPA vacuum cleaner filter captures small particles such as allergens, irritants, and pollutants to maintain a healthier indoor environment.
- Wide Cleaning Path with Headlight: A 15-inch wide nozzle with automatic height adjustment lets you clean larger areas in less time; An automatic headlight keeps you from missing any spots.
- Quickdraw Tool Attachments: On-board tools attached to the vacuum include a stretch hose, two wands, dusting brush and crevice tool, allowing instant access to fast, powerful, above-floor cleaning.
- Automatic Rewind Cord Reel: A single touch activates the cord rewind mechanism, making storage easy and convenient..Hose Type:Stretch
- Easy-to-maneuver: The swivel steering provides easy maneuverability to clean between or under the furniture.
- Fluent Cleaning: Easy-glide big wheel technology that easily glides over all floor surfaces
- No Suction Lose: Multi-stage cycle system that never loses suction.
- Economical: The easy-to-empty dust cup removes all replacement and maintenance cost of dust bags.
- Accessories: On-board accessories included: 2-in-1 upholstery tool, pet turbo brush and 16-inch crevice tool.
- CYCLONIC TECHNOLOGY: Ensures a consistent cleaning Experience with no loss of suction
- EXTREME RECLINE HANDLE: Reaches under furniture for easier access without having to move things around
- EDGE CLEANING BRISTLES: Removes dirt, dust and pet hair up against those hard to reach edges
- Multi FLOOR CLEANING: Transitions from carpet to hard floors with ease
- Powerful REACH: 20 foot cord extends room to room
- Onepass technology with powerful suction and innovative brush design to clean on the initial pass* (removes most surface debris based on visual test BTP0221)
- Powerful, Multi cyclonic suction system for a Deep clean, Plus a lightweight design that's easy to push and carry
- Easy empty dirt bin with large capacity so you spend less time emptying
- Turbo brush tool for stairs, furniture, upholstery, and more. Surface Type Carpet, Upholstery, Stairs, Low Pile Carpet
- Pre and Post Motor filter system with washable pre motor filter for easy maintenance
- Never loses suction or power
- Cleans carpets and bare floors
- Lightweight - only 7 pounds. Amps- 4.2. Wattage- 500
- Versatile floor to ceiling cleaning
- Never Loses Suction or Power
- SPIN SCRUB SYSTEM: Powerfully removes deep-embedded dirt and stains with 360 degree brushes and strong suction while being gentle on your carpet.
- FAST DRY TIME: Tackle surface stains as they happen with Quick Clean Mode and enjoy dry carpets in 45 minutes.
- LARGE CAPACITY TANKS: Two tank system with a 25% larger tank keeps dirty water separate from the clean water so you can clean more and refill less often
- AUTOMATIC DETERGENT MIXING: Take the guesswork out of mixing solution, Power Scrub Elite mixes the correct combination for you. Suction Technology- Dual V
- WHATS INCLUDED: 8’ hose to deep clean hard-to-reach areas, 2-in-1 pet tool attachment to remove pet hair, stains, and odors, and sample bottle of carpet cleaning pet solution
- Dust cup capacity 1.5 quarts; Shark's ultimate cleaning experience; Featuring Shark DuoClean, Powered lift away, and Zero M technologies
- DuoClean Technology: Dual brushroll system deep cleans carpets and directly engages floors for a polished look
- Powered Lift Away: The canister detaches to extend the reach of the cleaner head, including under furniture
- The vacuum that deep cleans now cleans itself. The zero M self-cleaning brushroll delivers nonstop hair removal. Cleaning path width-11 inch
- Advanced anti-allergen complete seal technology plus HEPA filter
Buying Guide to the Best Carpet Vacuums in 2020
Most of the highly-praised carpet vacuum cleaners belong to the Bissell brand – one of the leading companies in home cleaning. Of course, many other brands manufacture carpet cleaners. The great variety of vacuums is the reason why it’s hard to decide which model to buy. In order to help you make the right decision, we have compiled this buying guide. So, let’s check it out!
What to Consider when Looking for a Carpet Cleaner?
1. Suction Power
The suction power of a vacuum is very important as it determines the cleaning quality. The greater it is, the better cleaned the carpet will be. One of the brands that offer great suction power is Bissell. Their carpet vacuums are of good quality and high power levels. The power of some of their vacuum cleaners goes between 800 watts and 1800 watts.
One of the most irritating features of all vacuums is their noise. They are just too loud to handle. Fortunately, there are a few quieter models. That makes them ideal and functional for home use, especially if you are looking for a quiet product. Some of the models that don’t make much noise are Pet Hair Eraser, ProHeat 2X Revolution, and Compact Carpet Cleaner.
3. Accessories Included
Vacuum cleaner accessories make cleaning easier. You can find various accessories in most Bissell vacuums, which facilitate cleaning. Those are water tanks in machines that work as humidifiers, rotating brushes, and drainage systems that prevent dirtying our hands when rinsing the carpets.
What Is a Carpet Vacuum?
These vacuum cleaners are similar to the traditional ones with the difference that they are specifically made for thoroughly cleaning carpets. They are high-powered house appliances that have an air pump to vacuum the dust or dirt from the carpets. The carpet vacuums are completely silent, so they won’t disturb you, your family members, or the neighbors.
How to Use a Carpet Vacuum Cleaner?
Carpet vacuum cleaners are pretty easy to use. Even if you have never used one before, you just need to follow the manufacturer’s instructions to be able to use the product properly.
The first thing you should do before using the vacuum is to assemble it. This is straightforward as there are only a few big parts that need to be connected one to another. Once assembled, you should turn on the power button(s) and start cleaning.
The cleaning method and the use of the vacuum depend on the type of cleaner. For instance, humidifying vacuums have a water tank that must be filled with water to clean the carpet well. On the other hand, vacuums designed to remove pet hair, need to be turned on using the power button. Upon turning it on, it activates lights that let users know which places to vacuum.
Some vacuums, such as those from Bissell, have the option of changing the parts according to the surface being cleaned. In order to do this, you have to consider that different types of carpet cleaners have different mechanisms. Therefore, changing the parts depends on the instructions found on the vacuums’ storage boxes.
How Do Carpet Vacuums Work?
These devices operate quite similarly to traditional vacuum cleaners. Their main difference is that they are very powerful and have special heads. Some models have a programmable system to start the daily cleaning of a specific space. Others are easily, automatically, adapted to the carpet pile height. In short, the correct use of the cleaner is decisive for its proper functioning.
How to Clean a Carpet with a Vacuum Cleaner?
These appliances have a very powerful technology to vacuum all the dust and dirt from the carpets. Cleaning with them is quite similar to that of traditional vacuums. However, there are several steps to follow in order to clean your carpets properly and easily. Those are:
- Clean the carpets last: When cleaning the house, leave the carpets last. If you clean them first, the dirt and dust on the walls or blinds will dirty them again.
- Remove furniture and objects: This will allow you to get to the most difficult places and where the dirt isn’t visible. In that way, you’ll be able to clean every corner without leaving hidden dirt.
- Connect the vacuum cleaner: You must connect the cable to the electric current to be able to use the vacuum.
- Turn it on and choose the power: Once plugged into a power outlet, you can turn on the cleaner by pressing the button(s). Then, you can choose the power based on the type of fabric of the carpet. You need to make sure you know the fabric to choose the proper power level. If, for instance, you choose high power for delicate fabric, it will be damaged.
- Vacuuming: This includes long passes in the direction of the fibers and the opposite direction, if necessary. You follow the direction of the carpet strands, trying to cover as much area as possible. You should vacuum patiently and slowly in order for the cleaner to suction out and retain all the dust and dirt from the carpet.
- Start with the most difficult places: If you start vacuuming from the most difficult place, you’ll save more time as the easy-to-clean parts are quickly passed.
- Other passes: Apart from making long passes in both directions of the fibers, you should also make short passes perpendicular to the direction of the strands. In this way, the vacuum will be able to lift the hair from the carpet, thus making cleaning more effective.
- Finishing off: When you are all done with vacuuming the carpets, you can make a few final perpendicular passes and turn off the vacuum cleaner.
Other Techniques for Vacuuming a Carpet with a Vacuum Cleaner
Using the right technique for vacuuming carpets is essential. It’s because it determines the aesthetics of the carpets ensure good performance of the machine. Apart from the techniques mentioned above (long and short passes and perpendicular passes), there are a few other techniques you should know. Those are:
- Unique passes: You have to be careful with the passes as you should never pass twice in a row in the same direction of the fabric, at the same point. Instead, make unique passes without repeating the ones you made.
- Vacuuming directions: You should make lines in V or diagonally. But make sure you always combine the passes so that the fibers can withstand the tension.
- Carpet in horizontal: The carpet must always be on the floor, not hanging. It’s because the fabrics could have more tension than normal and, in turn, all the dirt will move inside the fabric without leaving it.
How Often Should You Vacuum a Carpet?
Honestly, this depends on your needs (the needs of the house), their fabric, and the residents of the house. Usually, it should be cleaned every 15 days. But, if there are children or pets, it’s best to clean it every week. Likewise, if there are rugs in the kitchen or the dining room, they should be vacuumed more frequently as food waste usually falls on them. Therefore, it must be cleaned quickly; otherwise, it could damage your aesthetics.
Deep cleaning is almost always carried out on weekends. However, you should quickly pass the carpets every day (or every second day) in places that are more prone to dirt, such as in the kitchen or when there are kids or pets in the house.
How to Choose the Best Powerful Carpet Vacuum?
To make sure you choose the best vacuum cleaner for you, you have to consider several aspects, including:
- Absorption of dirt: This is one of the most important aspects you should consider if you want to buy a good and efficient carpet vacuum. Your model must have sufficient capacity in order to function out the dirt and dust found in the carpet.
- Vacuum’s capacity: When choosing a carpet vacuum, you should consider its capacity. This refers to the space it has for storing the absorbed dirt from the carpets. It should have enough space according to the surface you want to vacuum so that you don’t pause while vacuuming to empty the dust container.
- Perfect for the carpet: You need to choose a model that fits your carpet. It must be able to clean it with care, without damaging it or modifying its shape. But, on the contrary, it should protect the fibers from damaging and revitalize it after each cleaning.
- Rotary head: If you want to be able to access difficult or limited spaces, you should look for a model with a rotary head. This will give your great motion options and allow you to turn the head according to the space you are cleaning.
- Accessories: Having accessories, such as heads with specific brushes, always come handy as they make the cleaning much easier.
Advantages of Powerful Carpet Vacuums
These devices are undoubtedly very useful for cleaning the carpets of your house as they make it much easier. Of course, they have many other advantages, including:
- Help preserve the carpet – They keep the material looking better and clean as if it was new.
- Exclusive care: When using the correct head, these vacuums not only clean the carpet thoroughly but also take care of it.
- Reduce the use of washing centers: Having a powerful carpet vacuum allows you to clean your carpets at home. There’s no need to take them to washing centers. In this way, you save money in the long run.
- Improve the quality of life: Using a vacuum cleaner removes a large amount of dust that could cause respiratory problems or skin allergies.
- Time-saving: Due to their power and the high technology incorporated in them, the cleaning can be completed in less time than when done manually.
Tips for Proper Maintenance of Powerful Carpet Vacuums
Most of these devices come from recognized brands and are of high quality. They come with a free warranty certificate, which only covers factory faults or defects. It doesn’t cover misuse or neglect of the vacuum. Therefore, you have to take good care of it to extend their lifespan. In order to maintain your carpet vacuum properly, you should follow these steps:
- Read the instructions: Every household appliance comes with a manual, which gives you information on everything you need to know about the product. This includes how it works, how it’s used, how it’s cleaned, how to store it, and how to take care of it. Hence, it’s the best place to start from to learn how to maintain your vacuum cleaner.
- Empty the dirt: You have to be aware of the amount of dirt in the vacuum’s bin because if you don’t empty it before it’s full, it will damage the product. Therefore, you must empty all the dust stored and not let it exceed the vacuum’s storage capacity. Some models have a level indicator where you can see up to where the dirt has filled the storage. And, if it’s reaching the maximum level, you must empty the bag immediately.
- Proper use: This means that you shouldn’t use the vacuum on surfaces it’s not designed for, only for carpenters. Moreover, when used on carpets, you have to follow the instructions for proper use and cleaning we’ve provided previously.
- Cleaning the brushes: You need to clean the brushes of the head frequently as they get dirty easily and the dirt and dust remain stuck to the bristles.
- Filter change: If your model has a filter that must be changed, you should do it. Otherwise, if the filter is washable, you just need to wash it, not replace it with a new one. You should clean the washable filters more often so that they don’t interfere with the proper functioning of the machine.
- Cordless vacuum cleaner: If you have a cordless vacuum, you have to take special care of it and use it as instructed on its manual. It will also show you how to charge the battery correctly so that no failures occur and the product functions effectively.
- Vacuum cleaners with cable: If you have a vacuum cleaner with a cable, you need to make sure the power outlet is as close as possible when you plug in the vacuum so that the cable isn’t stretched too much.
- Avoid vacuuming dirt of high temperatures: One example of this type of dirt is cigarette ash. If you vacuum such dirt, it could damage the machine’s internal mechanism.
- Store it when not in use: You should always store your carpet vacuum cleaner when you don’t use it. In this way, you will protect it from any hits and damages. If possible, it’d be best to store it in a cool, safe place that is unreachable for children.