What Is the Best Electric Grater on the Market?
Manual graters have been good companions in the kitchen for decades. They have been used for easier and faster grating, shredding, or cutting food. Although people had to make a lot of effort when using them, especially when grating raw vegetables, bread, or nuts, they still saved a lot of time. Indeed, there was nothing better than them for this job until the electric greater appeared.
These graters became the best kitchen utensil ever. They were an upgraded version of the old manual greater and did all their job much faster, more efficiently, and with zero effort.
Is it some sort of magic? While it may look magical, electric graters have nothing to do with magic. They only use electric power to do all things faster and on their own. After all, technology is always at the side of the consumers, trying to make their life easier.
If you would also like to save time on preparing food, especially salads, and do it the hassle-free way, you should consider buying an electrically powered grater. To help you find the grater that suits your culinary needs best, we have compiled the top 7 graters on the market.
Comparison of the Best Electric Graters in 2020
Which Electric Grater to Buy?
The 7 Best Quality-Price Electric Graters
- Beautifully Designed - Simple to use and User Friendly - *No Tools Required*
- Commercially Rated*** Up to 550W Peak Power!! 1/2 HP
- No more scraped knuckles!
- Perfect for potato pancakes, cassava / yuca, shredded coconut
- Great for grating Parmesan cheese, horseradish, and other hard vegetables
- Removable 7.5 inch non-serrated stainless steel super sharp blade precisely cuts meat, firm vegetables, bread, fruit and hard cheeses. Perfect for preparing sandwich, healthy salad, deli trays and buffet food for entertaining party.
- Variable thickness knob for desired food from 0.04 to 0.6 inch enables you to slice super thin prosciutto smoked ham for elegant platters.
- Large sliding platform wide 7.2 inch for slicing large roasts, hams and other foods. Achieving perfect cut every time keeping the users hands far from the blade for utmost safety. Spiked BPA-free food pusher maintains a firm grip of food for controlled slicing.
- Recessed power switch prevent accidental engagement. Extra-large suction cut feet provide a stable base on most surfaces.
- CUSIMAX OUTSTANDING 30-DAY MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE & 18-MONTH WARRANTY: We assure you that no other food slicer beats our products' high-caliber quality & efficiency. You can try it out for yourself, knowing that, should you change your mind, you are entitled to a FULL refund within the first 30 days, as well as the fact that each food slicer parts & labor is covered by our exclusive warranty for 18-MONTH ! So Get Yours Now, Risk-Free!
- 5 IN 1: Dice, chop, slice, grate, and shred up all your fruits and veggies for the most perfectly picturesque salads, soups, pies, and more!
- UNIFORM PERFECTION: Each blade is designed to cut with hyper-precise accuracy for consistently uniform sized results.
- FAST & POWERFUL: Just one button touch to unleash 150 watts of pure slicing power. Elevated lid keeps fingers safely out of harm’s way.
- SWITCH & SLIDE: All blades slide in and out for easy interchangeable convenience, and are dishwasher safe.
- ETL CERTIFIED: We, at Gourmia, take the quality of our products seriously. This product is ETL certified so you can be confident that you’re receiving a safe, efficient, high quality appliance.
- Powerful 200-watt Multi Grater with ultra sharp versatile blades
- Includes three large capacity stainless steel drums; fine, coarse and slicing
- Extremely sharp acid-etched blades
- Compact and portable or use with any bowl
- Hopper and drums are top rack dishwasher safe
- Slice or shred vegetables, fruits, and cheese for delicious salads, soups, tacos, pizzas, desserts, and much more
- Inlcudes four interchangeable cones for making regular slices, thick slices, ripple cuts, and shreds-plus a handy funnel guide
- Chops nuts, grates chocolate, even makes bread and cracker crumbs; Just point and shoot right where you want
- Easy cleanup; Base wipes clean, everything else is dishwasher safe. Housing Material - Plastic
- Makes regular slices for salads, thick slices for apple pie, shreds potatoes for hashbrowns and cheese for pizza
What Is an Electric Grater?
Electric graters are small devices that can be defined as food processors or mincers. As their name suggests, they are powered by electricity. These products have a rigid surface, are usually made of metal, and have holes that crumble the food being rubbed on them.
What Should You Consider before Buying an Electric Grater?
Not all graters are good for the same thing. Some graters are quite versatile, depending on the accessories and different blades they include while others are extremely good for grating only in one way. Having more functions doesn’t guarantee the grater is good for the use you intend to use it for. That’s why you need to decide what you will use your electric grater for before buying it.
The size of electric graters depends on their power and space. Usually, the bigger the grater is the more power it has, thus being able to grate and grind even the toughest foods. However, a big size can also be the reason for not choosing a particular model because you don’t have enough space in the kitchen. Therefore, you need to find a balance between the function and use of the grater and the space you have in order to choose the best model for you.
When handling sharp blades such as the ones of the grater, we must be very careful and make sure the model we buy offers safety to the user. Models that are secure and safe for users have blades that are completely covered while using, thus avoiding cuts on the hands. They also have a base made of rubber or any other non-slip material to reduce the chance of harming ourselves during a specific, bad movement.
Very often food remains in the kitchen utensils even after washing them. This can produce bacteria that will transfer to other foods. That’s why it’s very important to clean them thoroughly. To make the cleaning easier, you should look for electric graters that have as few parts as possible so that you can clean the food residue easier when assembling and disassembling it. In addition, you should consider the material of the grater because some materials, such as stainless steel, are dishwasher safe. Hence, you will be able to disinfect them completely.
Types of Apparatus for Electric Grating
Graters are perfect allies when cooking because they help you prepare food much faster and completely streamline your daily work in the kitchen. Apart from the things mentioned above, you should also know the types of grating machines before looking for one. So, let’s take a look at them.
- Manual graters – These are the traditional ones, found in 99% of the kitchens. There are several types of manual graters, including:
- Grater stick: These graters have a grip handle and a grating surface of approximately 20 cm.
- Pyramid grater: These graters have four scratch surfaces with grooves of different sizes and in stainless steel.
- Mandolin grater: This type is widely used for grating vegetables such as onion and pepper.
- Rotary grater: This type has a rotating drum that is activated by moving a handle in a circle. It allows you to obtain different grating thicknesses.
2. Electric graters – These graters are much faster than the manual ones, as one would expect. They are very useful, intuitive, and easy to use. There are several types of electric graters, including:
- Basic graters: They have only a grating function. Usually, they are small and portable, so you can take them with you whenever you need them. But, there are also larger models, with a medium-sized grating drum, and are usually kept plugged in in the kitchen. Some of them have a coupled container to store the grated food while others have an open outlet.
- Mandolins: This type has other functions apart from the grating one. Due to being very versatile in terms of the ways of preparing food, they are the most popular models today. They can grate vegetables for a salad, cut a potato into wedges, chop fruit for a fruit salad, etc. These models come with several cones or interchangeable metallic sheets with different grooves to be able to make different cuts.
- Spiral Cutters: This type is not actually a grater, rather a cutter. Nonetheless, they made a boom on the market because they cut spiral vegetables for preparing vegetable pasta. They allow us to innovate and experiment with vegetables to prepare dishes such as the famous zoodles (a combination of zucchini and noodles), which can be eaten raw or cooked as spaghetti.
Which Foods Can an Electric Grater Process?
Graters are usually suitable for processing semi-hard foods, such as cured cheese, hard bread, chocolate, and nuts (e.g. walnuts, peanuts, as well as coconuts). While hard foods can be immediately processed, soft foods or foods that can melt, such as chocolate, should be first frozen for a few minutes to become harder. That will prevent them from melting on the greater and leaving residues on the surface and will make their grating more effective and faster.
Apart from semi-hard foods, multifunctional electric graters can also grate or chop creamier foods or foods with higher water content, such as cucumbers, carrots, beets, and cabbage among others. Moreover, they can grate tubers like potatoes and sweet potatoes. They can cut them into slices so you can fry them and make homemade chips or pure. However, electric graters can’t and shouldn’t be used to grate very hard foods like coffee, grains, or firm cereals. Also, they can’t be used for crushing ice.
When it comes to meat, it depends on its type. There are big graters (grinders) that can grind some meats, such as beef, chicken, turkey, and pork. Once grounded, you can use them to make a hamburger. But, you have to be careful because not all models are suitable for meat. Usually, they are found as a separate type of graters, under the name of meat grinders.
How Strong Should My Electric Grater Be?
The last thing to consider when choosing an electric grater is its power. Most electric graters have power between 100 W and 300 W. This power has nothing to do with the machine’s efficiency. Hence, more power doesn’t mean faster, stronger, and more precise grating. It means that that’s how much electrical energy is consumed per house of use.
Having that in mind, it would be ideal to find a grater that doesn’t have high power but has a great performance. Of course, you should consider the value of the power as it determines the energy spent while using it.
Advantages of Using a Machine for Electrical Grating
These kitchen utensils are very useful and help your cooking tasks run faster and easier. They are very beneficial for all those who spend lots of time manually grating foods for salads, cakes, and other recipes. Of course, they provide their users with other advantages, including:
- They save us more time when cooking.
- When we use them, we apply less manual effort.
- They make smaller and more precise cuts.
- These devices promote a more balanced diet with fresh products as they lighten the workload in the kitchen.
- When we use them, we have less risk of cutting or scraping our fingertips.