What Is the Best Ironing Board on the Market?
Can we agree that ironing clothes is one of the most hated choirs? It is, no wonder women detest it. But, it’s something we have to do in order to make our clothes look nice and good on us.
Since we can’t escape that “torment”, we need to make it as bearable as possible. The only way to do this is by using a good ironing board. It’s your best ally in the fight against a lot of wrinkled clothes. It’s because a stable and durable ironing board provides us with many benefits, such as ironing comfort. However, we should also think of the space it takes when not in use.
There are plenty of ironing boards on the market due to being one of the most common household products. While this gives you a lot of options to choose from, it also makes choosing the right one difficult. To help you choose the right ironing board for you, we have analyzed the best ironing boards on the market and listed the best models based on your needs.
Comparison of the Best Ironing Boards in 2020
Tips for Choosing a Good Ironing Board
As mentioned above, the choice of ironing boards is vast, which can make finding the right one difficult. In order to know which ironing board to buy, you need to consider some of their features, including:
The materials a board is made of are important as they determine the ease of ironing, the board’s quality, and the board’s durability. Most models on the market are made of aluminum because it’s a resistant and very light material. This allows you to move your board without problems.
However, this material can sometimes less resistant. That’s why we’ve added several wooden ironing boards to the list, which are much more resistant and robust than the aluminum ones. In that way, they allow you to iron any type of garment without any problem.
The size of your ironing board is one of the essential aspects to consider as it determines where you can place it and where you will store it. Choosing a smaller ironing board allows you to handle it easily and store it without taking up much space. Having in mind that most tables are foldable, you won’t have any problem storing it. That allows you to enjoy an ironing board that is comfortable, easy to handle, and highly mobile.
When it comes to removing wrinkles from your clothing, the structure of your ironing board is one of the important things. Ironing can be exhausting if you don’t have the tools (features) you need as they help you streamline and facilitate this task. That’s why there are models with various modalities when ironing as well as an additional shelf to fold and leave your clothes.
How Much Money Should I Spend on My Ironing Board?
There are a lot of models and brands of ironing boards on the market at different prices. But if you want to buy a sturdy board, with a high-quality cover, and all the accessories that allow you to iron comfortably, you should be willing to pay around $118 or more.
Here is how ironing boards are divided based on their price, referring to their quality:
- Cheaper ironing boards (under $50) – These are ideal for those who wear clothes that don’t require (much) ironing and only iron occasionally. They have all the basic things that allow you to iron comfortably. However, they aren’t sturdy and the sleeves tend to get damaged very quality.
- High-quality ironing boards (over $50) – The models at this price and above are high-quality ones. They are perfect for those who iron many clothes. Also, they are usually designed to provide the greatest comfort when ironing. Therefore, they are easy to fold, have resistant covers, and have accessories for placing the iron and the clothes.
Which Ironing Board to Buy?
- Measures 54" long x 14" wide, Fully adjustable height - up to 36.5 inches tall
- Patented leg lock for secure transport
- White legs/Blue lattice cover design. Made in the USA
- 100% cotton cover with foam pad
- Material Type: Stainless Steel
- Give your ironing board a new look; scorch resistant cover and sewn-in protective pad
- Tailored nose pocket design fits standard ironing boards
- Heavy-duty stretch cord binding securely keeps cover in place
- Dimensions: 15 L x 54 W inches
- Beautiful appearance so you can iron your clothing in style
- LARGE METAL FRAME 4-leg reliable ironing board with wide top ironing surface, iron rest, and hanger bar
- MAXIMUM STABILITY leg style with 28 mm legs
- ATTACHED IRON REST with heat resistant pads and adjustable wings accommodates large and small irons
- METAL LEG LOCK holds legs closed for storage
- MEASURES: 29.5-36.5"H x 18"W x 49"D
- Durable Steel Legs with plastic floor caps.
- Metal mesh top improves steam flow from iron
- Assembled Dimensions: 13.5" x 62.5" x 28.5" to 36.25
- Height adjusts from 28.5" to 36.25"
- Built-in metal iron rest and garment shelf
- Unique patented retractable shoulder wings.
- Heavy-duty padded board cover with 100% cotton surface layer, + extra cover includedExtra-large board (wider ironing surface) with heat resistant outboard support tray to hold your Iron/SteamerOutboard tray features a handy cord holder.
- Stable safety locking system for easy set-up, take-down and mobilitySturdy powder-coated metal frame for added stability, ideal for both household and industrial use. Our ironing boards designed for comfort, speed & performance
- Adjustable Height: Adjustable to 6 different pre-set heights Minimum Height: 27.5" - Maximum Height: 36"
- Size - 49 x 18 inches with a 0.98 inch Ivory Frame
- Extra-wide and ergonomic - adjustable to 4 different heights (30 - 38 inches)
- Handy transport lock keeps the table folded when stored or transported
- Safety child lock prevents the ironing board accidentally collapsing
- Comes with a 10 year guarantee
- STURDY - MANUFACTURED IN THE EU - BUILD TO LAST – , Not like cheap ironing boards this ironing board is build and designed in the EU with European quality, the unit is safe from Wobbling, heavy duty wide legs and big sized board, all designed to safe and help the unit stay still without any moves while in use, protective plastic shield on the legs to safe your floors from scratches, high quality material to keep the lifespan of the unit for years to come !
- GREAT IRON EXPERIENCE - THICK LAYERED BOARD COVER. -- Extra thick 100% cotton supported by foam works best for withstanding heat and keeping clothes from sticking! The metal mesh top will allow steam to pass through and evaporate.
- WHASABLE PAD – IRON AND STEM IRON REST SHLEF— HANGING RACK The ironing board comes with a washable and changeable cover pads (available on Amazon) iron and steam iron rest shelf, hanging rack to hang your finished ready clothes helping you while ironing your clothes
- HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE – FOLDABLE – STORAGE LOCK – This ironing board is designed to be adjustable, that users can lower and raise as needed to different heights. (30 - 38 inches) it can be folded almost flat to save storage space additionally the iron board will stay locked until you want to open and use it again the handy transport lock keeps the iron table folded when stored or transported.
- SIZE- Bartnelli Ironing Board with Steam Iron Rest features a working area of 51x19 inches, it offers an extra stable and wide working area for your comfort Bartnelli confidently offers a 3-year warranty for this ironing board
- Modern ironing board style with classic shape, stable arch foot stance, and 14x 54Ironing surface
- Retractable iron rest slides in to store in less space
- Color-Coordinated cover, leg caps, & plastic parts
- 100Percent Cotton cover (print) with 5 mm fiber pad
- Ironing surface: 14 x 54 inches; closed: 57 inches
- Dimension: The small ironing board of overall size: 23.62 x 14.17 x 7.08 inches, the mini ironing board of cover size: 23 x 14 inches, the ironing board legs can be folded and placed in the corner
- Space-Saving & Sturdy Frame: The Folding tabletop ironing board stores easily in most small places, folded when not in use for easy storage; Good quality material, more durable than particleboard
- Removable & Washable Cover: 100% cotton cover and thick felt pad of compact ironing board provide a resilient and roomy ironing surface, easy to clean
- Reinforced Steel legs & Cooling Porous Pad: the portable ironing board of reinforced steel folding legs are stable, non-slip feet caps protect the countertop, the porous pad has good vapor permeability and heat dissipation
- Durable Panel & Multi-Use: The ironing board panel is not easy to rot like particleboard, it can breathe and dissipate heat quickly, and has a long service life; The countertop ironing board is suitable for sewing or craft rooms or small, confined spaces, where storage space is limited. Also can be used for laptop desk or snacks table
How to Use an Ironing Board?
It’s a fact that ironing is exhausting. That’s why it’s essential to have a good ironing table and use it properly. It’s the only way to minimize the effort and don’t end up exhausted when you’re done. If you’ve never used an ironing board before and aren’t sure how to use it, here are the steps you should take to use your board correctly:
- Put the board in a suitable place – Since the iron emits hot steam, it’s recommended to place the table in a cool and ventilated place.
- Regulate the height of the table – Setting the proper height allows you to rest your hand on the table, with your arm slightly bent, and maintain an upright posture. This prevents back pain during and after ironing.
- Use a good quality cover – Cotton covers, which are several inches thick are the most recommended ones. Another great option are the heat reflective ones as they allow you to align both sides of the clothing simultaneously.
- Read clothing labels – Always read the clothing labels as they provide instructions on how to iron the garment, considering the type of fabric and design.
- Iron carefully – Make sure you don’t rest the hot iron directly on the cover, but use the side tray. Also, don’t iron over buttons or zippers.
Advantages of Using an Ironing Board
An ironing board is the best way to make ironing less complicated and exhausting, especially when it comes with all the accessories you need. Apart from allowing you to iron your clothes more comfortably and easily, it also offers other benefits, including:
- You can count on a flat surface to straighten clothes more easily.
- It helps you maintain the proper posture, thus preventing back pain.
- The cover makes ironing easy, especially if it’s Thermo Reflect, as it smooths both sides simultaneously.
- You have everything on hand, hangers to hang the board, a place for iron resting, and space for folding clothes.
What Is an Ironing Board and When It Appeared?
Basically, it’s a support for ironing clothes. It allows you to iron garments without having to sit on the sofa and iron them on the table or the floor. In terms of its appearance, as data shows, the first ironing board like those we have today appeared on the market in 1866. After its first appearance, inventors created various models and types of ironing tables based on the consumers’ needs. And, so, ironing boards evolved over time.
Types of Ironing Boards
It’s no secret that almost everyone hates ironing. It’s uncomfortable, a lot of steam and heat is emitted, which sweats the user, and takes a lot of time, especially when dealing with silk or clothes made of other delicate materials. Trying to make the process more comfortable and “likable”, inventors have come up with different models and designs. All with the hope that people will find a board that suits their needs and preferences. As a result, there are various types of ironing boards on the market. Each of them has its own characteristics and use.
Here are some of the types:
Ironing Boards Without Grid
Just as there are ironing boards with a grid, there are also models without this element. But, this doesn’t make them less valuable or efficient than the models with a grid. It’s rather an option to consider when choosing a board for those who are looking for something different than grided ironing tables.
Ironing Boards With a Plug
Models with a built-in plug give you greater independence as you can plug the iron in and work no matter where you use the board. But, if you have a board without a plug, you can just use a plug extension.
Ironing Boards With a Hose
Having an ironing board with a hose incorporated it’s perfect as it’s an essential element. If you have any other element to hold the long cable of the iron, it will facilitate the ironing work. But, even if your model doesn’t come with a built-in hose, it doesn’t matter as you can buy a folding one.
Ironing Boards With a Mirror
This type of ironing board is super-practical as it has a minimalist design. When down ironing, you can just turn the ironing board vertically, and it’s stored. Plus, you get a mirror to see how your outfit looks on you. The bad thing is that there aren’t many of these models for sale.
Plastic Ironing Boards
Being made of plastic, these boards are much lighter than any conventional ironing board and have an exclusive ironing surface. Due to being light, they are more manageable. Hence, you can easily transport them from one place to another. However, you have to be careful with the temperature if you don’t have a system that reflects it as it may damage the surface.
Vacuum Ironing Boards
These ironing tables have a blowing and heating system due to having a built-in thermostat. This feature places them to the category of “professional ironing boards” due to their multifunctionality. Namely, they can be used in laundries, dry cleaners, hotels, etc.
Small Ironing Boards
Also known as mini-tables, these ironing boards are great for those who don’t have enough space to place a 39.37-inch long table. Although compact, light, and easy to store, they have some limitations, such as the size of the garments ironed. Nonetheless, they are perfect for some users.
Semi-Industrial and Industrial Ironing Boards
These types of ironing boards come equipped with the best technologies on the market. They are highly functional, practical, and have low energy consumption.
Children’s Ironing Boards
Since they are for kids, it’s obvious they are not actual ironing boards but toys. You can find them in any toy store and make a perfect gift for girls.
Are There Ironing Boards for Left-Handed People?
Yes, there are. You can even find adaptable models for right and left-handed. These models have a surface (board) that rotates, so you can turn it to any side you need. They have the same features and benefits as the conventional right-handed ironing boards. Some models are even more modern and innovative than conventional ones. You just need to do a little research to find the right one for you.
Ironing Boards That Turn into Chairs?
You may have not known, but there are ironing boards that turn into chairs. And, they are the best ones. These models are transformable and have a basic structure of a chair. They work in the following way: the plane of the backrest extends inferiorly below the plane of the seat. It can be raised to place the backrest in a vertical position.
What Should I Consider When Buying an Ironing Board?
Many people find ironing uncomfortable and need a work area that makes it more comfortable and less troubling. Ironing boards do that and much more. When choosing the right ironing table for you, you should look for the one that allows you to slide the iron without problems and doesn’t absorb the moisture produced by the steam. In order to find one that suits your needs and preferences, you need to look at the following details (apart from the price):
- Size – Most ironing boards are over 39.37 inches long and about 19.68 inches wide. While all of them are comfortable to use, you should carefully choose their size, considering the space where you will place it and store it when not in use.
- Ironing or padding surface – Some ironing boards have a metallic mesh that allows passage of steam. In that way, it prevents the damping of the clothes. Other models come with steel and aluminum materials.
- Ironing cover – This aspect is essential to consider when your ironing table is made of wood or heat-resistant resin. Even if it’s made of aluminum, you should make sure you choose a cover that makes ironing easier, faster, and more efficient. In order to prevent wrinkles more effectively, some covers have a thermo-reflective technology that reduces ironing time.
- Storage – Regardless if your ironing board is foldable, with wheels or hooks or not, you have to consider its storage. It’s because you want to store it somewhere closer to hand, so you can easily take it out whenever you need it.
- Weight – This feature depends on the material the board is made of and its type. Namely, those made of wood and steel weigh up to 28.66 lbs. On the other hand, those made of resin and aluminum weigh up to 8.82 lbs.
- Support and capacity – Check the type of support the board has and how much is can hold with the supplier. It’s because some models can hold 4.41 lbs whereas others can hold 22.04 lbs.
- Height regulation – Not all ironing boards have this feature. But if you’d like to adjust the height of your board according to your height, you can buy one with this feature. Some models can be adjusted at up to 8 levels of height (up to 39.37 inches).
- Support for the iron – Some ironing boards have a special rack or a tray where you can place the iron. Other models, on the other hand, have a heat-resistant area within the same board surface where you can leave the iron when hot.
- Easel – This provides stability or firmness to the ironing board. The type of easel a board has depends on the type of the board and its structure.
Accessories for Ironing Boards
To stop the ironing torment and make your life easier while ironing, your board should come with at least three accessories from the following list:
- Iron sleeves – They are small and come with a fleece that supports the ironing table. This accessory is used to iron shirt sleeves with ease.
- Ironing board cover – All ironing tables come with a cover. However, you need to change it over time (if damaged or want a better one). When you need a new one, you can find it in specialized stores.
- Ironing board hanger – This accessory serves to better organize the space where you store it. You can hang the table, the iron, and other items you may need on it and have all of them in hand when you need to use them.
- Tensioners for iron or braces – They tighten and allow the ironing board cover to fit better to the base. In that way, they prevent it from moving or folds appearing, thus preventing wrinkles on your clothes.
- Ironing blanket – This accessory is helpful and an alternative for those who don’t have an ironing board. It’s a replacement to the board and can be used over a table or a similar piece of furniture as it protects it from the heat and helps you achieve perfect ironing.
Cleaning Tips for Ironing Boards
There are several ways to clean your ironing board, regardless of their material. While you can clean it with any cleaning product of your choice, it’s important NOT to use abrasive products. Moreover, you don’t have to clean it after every use, but from time to time.
To make sure you clean your ironing board and accessories properly, here are several cleaning tips:
- You can easily wash the removable cover – If you choose a model with a cover that can be washed in the machine, it’s great. But even if it has to be washed by hand, the rules of washing it are the same. Namely, you should always read the label and follow the rules there. Once washed, let it air-dry – don’t use a dryer.
- For those tough stains on the cover that can’t be removed by machine washing, use water, vinegar, and baking soda in a spray bottle. Spray the area and let it sit for a minute. Then, wipe it with a damp cloth.
- Use a damp cloth to clean the ironing board. Wait for it to dry completely and then, cover it again with its accessories to prevent the formation of bacteria and fungi that can spread to clothing; You can clean the entire surface of the ironing table up to the legs.
- Use salt to clean the iron. Put a bit of salt on the ironing board (maybe using a pillowcase or another material where it’s easy to slide). Then, place the iron on the steam option and run over the salt. The dirt from the iron as well as from the table will be immediately removed.
- As prevention, keep your iron face off the deck and clean your iron deck regularly.
Some Tricks to Smooth Your Clothes on the Ironing Board
Ironing can be hard and time-consuming, especially when you can’t smooth your clothes. So, you have to iron them repeatedly, several times, which will take a lot of time and nerves.
If you don’t want this to happen to you, check out these tips:
1. Iron from the inside out – This will protect embroidery and prints from the heat of the iron while leaving them smooth, without wrinkles.
2. Moisten the clothes – If the fabric you want to straighten has a lot of wrinkles, you can spray it with a little water or special liquid products. Optionally, you can spray the iron board, if there’s enough space for it.
3. Consider the temperature of the iron – You should always read the labels on the garments before ironing them if you aren’t sure about the ideal temperature for ironing. This especially counts for very thick fabrics and delicate materials like silk. Knowing the right ironing temperature will make sure you don’t burn them.
4. Ironing direction – Iron in the same direction so that the distribution of heat/steam throughout the fabric is uniform.
If you still have some doubts regarding ironing different materials, here are more detailed tips per each type of fabric.
Extra Tips for Ironing Different Materials
- Wool – Ironing clothes from wool is easy. You need to moisten them and iron them on the opposite side. This will prevent the garment from acquiring shine, will remain with the same tone, and won’t dull.
- Silk – When ironing silk garments, you need to be gentle and very careful since you can burn them very easily, especially if your iron doesn’t have an ironing option for silk fabrics. You need to iron the garment on the opposite side and place a cloth between the garment and the iron. The iron should be at high temperature and with plenty of steam.
- Dress pants – Turn the fabric of the pants inside out and moisten it. Then, iron from whichever direction you want as long as it’s evenly. Stretch and moisten a second time (only a bit) and pass the iron again subtly. That’s it.
- Polyester – You should iron at a constant low temperature. If you want, you can use a damp cloth as an intermediate but raise the temperature a bit.
My Ironing Board Has Rusted: What Do I Do?
If you don’t take care of your ironing board, it will get damaged (rusted). In that case, you won’t be able to use it as the rust transfers to the clothes. An ironing board can get rusted out of various reasons. It may be due to using a dirty cover or using it improperly. But, the biggest reason is time and this is something you can’t stop.
While you can’t stop the passing of time, you can do something about the rust. In this way, you won’t have to throw it away. Like the idea? Follow these tips:
- Sand the surface to remove rust.
- Remove the old paint entirely until you can see the metal and leave it like that. Then, you can paint the metal using a special paint or spray. Don’t forget to cover yourself so that you don’t inhale the chemicals.
- Cover everything you don’t want to paint.
- Protect surrounding objects.
- Use a hair dryer to prevent the paint from lifting.
Obviously, these tips aren’t suitable for ironing boards made of wood, plastic, or stainless steel. But, you can apply them on any rusted or old ironing board made of aluminum.
More About Ironing Boards and Their Security System
Thanks to technology and technical advances that have emerged over the years, today we have ironing boards with great security features. One of them is the anti-lock security system, which prevents the table from closing unexpectedly while using it. There is also the thermo-reflect system, which prevents the ironing board from getting too hot.
Some ironing boards have a security system that prevents the table from unfolding when transporting it. There is also a so-called click & safe system, which makes sure that the ironing board doesn’t close by itself. This helps it generate greater resistance and reinforces the legs, thus helping you iron more easily and with greater safety.
Another great security feature is the cable clamp system, which allows you to hang all your cables to your ironing board if it’s very long. This prevents you from getting tangled and having an accident. And, there is the height-adjustable feature which allows you to adjust the ironing area for greater safety and comfort while ironing.
Having all these systems in mind, you can now choose the best ironing board for you, which suits your needs and budget.