What Is the Best Crib Mattress on the Market?
When you are expecting a baby, you want and look for the best for them. From clothes to bathroom products, to the furniture they’ll use or need, and everything that will generate their well-being. Sometimes, many of these things are passed around from one family to another as babies usually use them for a short time and they are practically new. And, it’s really a pity to keep them packed somewhere if you don’t use them anymore.
This usually happens with cribs. They are passed from one baby to another, almost intact. This is great for you because you can invest money in something else, like in the mattress of the crib.
Indeed, the mattress must be new even if you have a crib handed down from a relative. You should never use an already used mattress because they adapt to the baby and will get stains even if for cover it with a protective cover.
In order to help you find the best mattress for your baby’s crib, here we present to you the top mattresses in 2020.
Comparison of the 5 Best Crib Mattresses in 2020
Which mattress to buy?
The 10 Best Quality-Price Crib Mattresses
- 204 HIGH COIL COUNT -- Heat-tempered interwoven steel coil system provides superior firmness and posture support. All-around border rods keep the sides, corners and edges firm while anti-sag system distributes baby’s weight
- HOSPITAL-GRADE ANTIBACTERIAL & WATERPROOF SURFACE – Laboratory tested Staph-Gard cover eliminates bacteria on baby’s mattress surface for a cleaner and healthier environment. 100% waterproof cover keeps leaks from causing odors, mold and mildew inside
- PREMIUM FIRM UPGRADES -- Designed with steel edge support, an anti-sag weight distribution system and multiple layers of soft, supportive and comfortable cushioning on each side of the mattress
- SAFETY & QUALITY TESTED -- Firmness, durability and crib fit tested, this entire crib mattress is GREENGUARD Gold certified for indoor air quality and tested for chemicals to help create a healthier sleeping environment for your baby
- MADE IN THE USA -- Sealy Crib and Toddler Mattresses are designed, engineered and proudly made in the USA of U.S. and imported parts. Lifetime warranty on workmanship and materials
- Top layer made with Organic Cotton interlock; Middle layer: Breathable 100% polyester; Back layer: Organic Cotton laminated to TPU film
- Measures 28" X 52" X 9". Fits standard mattress measuring 28 X 52 X 6 inches
- SOFT PROTECTION: Our Waterproof pads not only protect the mattress, they offer soft quilted cushion for added comfort.
- QUIET. Extra soft materials eliminate noisy "crinkling" sounds..EASY CLEANUP: Our Pads make for an easy way to clean up after that occasional night time accident. Just pull them off, and throw them in the wash. Machine washable and dryable
- Tumble dry low for best results
- MATTRESS IN A BOX: This crib and toddler mattress ships compressed in a lightweight box for ultimate convenience; For optimal performance, unroll your mattress within 2 weeks of purchase to allow for proper expansion in a room temperature setting. The mattress cover is made up of 100% Polyester
- WATER-RESISTANT, REMOVABLE, WASHABLE OUTER COVER: This crib mattress’ soft outer cover is water-resistant, removable and machine washable; Gently unzip the outer cover, machine (or hand) wash in cold water (delicate cycle only, no bleach), and hang dry (do not place in dryer machine) to keep your child’s sleep environment fresh, clean, and cozy
- RECOMMENDED MATTRESS FIRMNESS FOR BABY: Recommended mattress firmness for infant's safer sleep; Mattress core made of high-quality, breathable foam to maximize air flow
- RIGOROUSLY TESTED AND CERTIFIED: This mattress is GREENGUARD Gold certified, free of prohibited phthalates, lead, and mercury, meets or exceeds all applicable ASTM International and CPSC safety standards, and meets all applicable federal flammability standards; Backed by a 6-year limited warranty
- FITS STANDARD FULL-SIZE CRIB AND TODDLER BED: This crib mattress is designed to fit any standard full-size crib and toddler bed; Length (52 inches) x Width (27.6 inches) x Height (up to 5 inches); Weight (7 pounds); Mattress made of polyurethane foam
- ULTRA SOFT OUTER COVER: Designed with your child’s comfort in mind, this mattress’ ultra-soft (yet durable) outer cover is made from a comfortable organic cotton blended material; this mattress’ outer over is also water-resistant, making sure your child’s sleep environment is dry and comfortable.
- REMOVABLE, HAND-WASHABLE OUTER COVER: Allowing you to keep your child’s sleep environment clean and fresh, this mattress’ outer cover is also removable and hand-washable; gently unzip the outer cover, hand wash in cold water with mild soap (no bleach), and line dry to keep your child’s sleep environment fresh, clean, and cozy.
- SAFE CHOICE: This mattress complies with all applicable ASTM and CPSC safety and flammability standards.
- DESIGNED TO FIT YOUR NURSERY: This mattress is designed to fit any standard full-size crib and toddler bed; length (52 inches) x width (28 inches) x height (5 inches); weight (11 pounds); mattress made of polyurethane foam.
- COMFORT:This mattress features a firmer side for infants and a plush memory foam side for older babies and toddlers.
- COTTON COVER: A waterproof washable cotton cover protects your mattress.
- TESTED: Meets or exceeds all US safety standards and requirements and uses only CertiPur certified foam.
- QUALITY: Milliard foam supersedes all with superior high density construction that will not lose its shape.
- DIMENSIONS: Fits in standard sized cribs and toddler beds. Measures: 52 x 27½ x 5.5 inches.
- DUAL FIRMNESS -- Features a two-stage design with firmer infant side and a softer toddler side - just flip the mattress over for a soybean cool gel memory foam topper for cool comfort for infants or toddlers.
- SPRING-FREE FOAM CRIB MATTRESS -- Offers lightweight spring-free luxury with an all-foam crib mattress made with soybean cool gel memory foam and a firm hypoallergenic core.
- LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN -- A firm and lightweight hypoallergenic core creates firmness perfect for infants and newborns. This mattress weighs less than 12 pounds to easily lift and change crib sheets and mattress pads.
- BREATHABLE WOVEN COVER -- Cool silvery white cotton cover is breathable on baby's skin, while remaining waterproof and easy-clean. All our mattresses are tested for flame retardant chemicals and we do not add flame retardant chemicals.
- MADE IN THE USA -- Sealy Crib and Toddler Mattresses are designed, engineered and proudly made in the USA of U.S. and imported parts. Lifetime warranty on workmanship and materials.
- Top & Bottom: 100% Soft Polyester; Middle: Waterproof Layer. Measures 28 inches x 52 inches x 9 inches
- QUIET: Extra soft materials eliminate noisy “crinkling” sounds.
- EASY CLEANUP: Our Pads make for an easy way to clean up after that occasional night time accident. Just pull them off, and throw them in the wash.
- VALUE: Deep pockets that fit a standard 6” crib mattress. Machine washable and dryable.
- SLEEP IN COMFORT – this topper is designed just like the memory foam toppers on adult beds to provide contouring comfort that’s soft and soothing on tiny bodies and reduces tossing and turning so your little one can get a better night sleep - and you can too!
- WATERPROOF COVER – Comes with a top-quality, hypoallergenic cover that’s both waterproof and washable so you can rest easy knowing your topper is protected from spills and other nighttime accidents.
- QUALITY THAT LASTS - constructed of 2-inch-thick, luxurious, 100% memory foam with a premium 2.5 lb. density so your topper can last for years without losing shape. Aerating holes are carefully added to each topper to increase ventilation while your child sleeps.
- SAFETY FIRST – Foam topper is CertiPUR-US certified for your child’s safety and the included cover is hypoallergenic, so you can rest in the knowledge that you are providing a comfortable and safe sleep environment for your child.
- MORE DETAILS – Soft topper is not intended for babies. Consult with physician for safety recommendations. Topper measures. 52" x 27" x 2". Please allow 24 to 48 hours for foam to expand after opening.
- Mattress is proudly constructed of quality materials and workmanship in the USA
- Mattress Meets Federal Standard Flammability Standard 16-CFR 1633. All Dream on Me mattresses are GREENGUARD Gold Certified for a healthy indoor environment for your baby.
- Fits all standard size cribs and toddler beds for years of use ;Offers a protective polyurethane foam wrap on each side delivers a plush sleeping surface
- Features include a hypo-allergenic, foam Insulating layer and lock-stitched waterproof binding for lasting durability and a layer of Fire blocker.
- 30 Day Warranty
- WE PUT BABY’S SAFETY FIRST: Non-toxic construction is free from harmful materials/chemicals | Mattress meets or exceeds flammability, lead, phthalate and CPSIA testing and does not contain toxic fire retardants
- DUAL SIDED FOR INFANTS AND TODDLERS: At the core 120 heavy duty innerspring coils offers ideal firmness for babies and toddlers | An additional layer of naturally blended cotton layer on toddler side provides enhanced comfort
- WATERPROOF FOR EASY CLEANING: Vinyl cover is waterproof | Full perimeter border wire creates a stable surface throughout the mattress
- GREENGUARD Gold certified: recognizes products with low chemical emissions, contributing to healthier environments | CertiPUR-US certified: made without PBDE fire retardants, lead, formaldehyde and other harmful materials
- MORE IMPORTANT INFO: Mattress comes with limited 35-year warranty | Made in USA | SIZE: 27.5"W x 52"L x <6"H (fits standard cribs and toddler beds) | Square corners to help with a secure fit inside the crib and toddler bed
What Should You Consider before Buying a Mattress for Crib?
There are many models of baby mattresses on the market. Some of them come from well-known brands and so from less-known ones. But, that’s not so important as the features of the mattress. Buying a mattress from a renowned brand usually means spending more money, but it doesn’t mean the rest of the models are bad. In fact, you can find many models from new or lesser-known brands for a lower price and great features. So why spend a fortune when you can get the best for your little angle for less. In order to choose a crib mattress of great quality that is good for your baby, you need to consider the following features.
Surely, when you go to buy a mattress for yourself, the material is something you pay close attention to, right? You may not notice all the materials of the mattress itself, but you’ll definitely notice their interior. Is it with springs, foam, viscose, or something else?
Your baby deserves the best. Hence, you have to find a mattress made of high-quality materials that are breathable and suitable for their tiny and light body and gentle skin.
The comfort of the mattress is equally important as the material. It’s because even if you choose the best materials, the crib mattress may be a bit hard and uncomfortable for your baby. So, make sure you check the model(s) you like are comfortable, easily adjustable to the baby’s body, and have a soft and pleasant touch.
We know you’ll use a protective cover to prevent the mattress from being exposed to everyday events. However, night leaking or other common baby events are inevitable. While the cover will partially protect the mattress it won’t prevent it from getting messed.
Therefore, you need to find mattresses that is easy to clean like those with a removable and washable cover. Having a model like that will allow you to clean the mattress in no time. All you have to do is remove the old (dirty) cover, wash it in the washing machine, and use another cover in the meantime.
Another very important aspect that you should take into account is the regulations. Babies are very gentle and delicate, so you can’t buy the first mattress you find. Instead, you should look for one that complies with current regulations and fulfills all requirements. As you can see in the models shown above, some of them even have a certificate (the Oeko-Tex) that ensures the mattress is made of non-toxic or harmful materials for your baby. In other words, you need to look for mattresses that come with specific certifications.
Types of Crib Mattresses
When choosing a mattress for your baby, you need to consider the various types available on the market. It will help you determine which mattresses to focus on. Those are:
Cot Bed Mattress
Cot beds are an important part of the baby’s furniture. It’s because they can hold many things the newborn will need. Moreover, these beds have a double use as they can be be used as cribs for newborns and transformed into a kid’s bed when the child grows (until 3 or 4 years of age). Therefore, it has to be durable and in good condition, as you’ll handle it down or sell to someone. Having in mind that your kids will use this bed for several years, you need to make sure you buy a high-quality mattress that adapts to the measurements of this type of crib.
Baby Mattress with Springs
This type of mattress is recommended for newborns due to the position they must have when sleeping for good digestion. Mattresses with springs good quality adapt to the bay’s body and weight, thus guaranteeing a pleasant sleep for the baby. They can also be obtained as an anti-reflux mattress. As their name suggests, these models prevent cramps or reflux that could cause sudden death. They have springs and an angle of 45°. This angle raises the bay’s head which ensures better breathing and reflux going out of their mouth (not staying in their throat, causing coaching).
Spring or Foam Baby Mattress?
Specialists have had the dilemma of whether spring or a foam mattress is better for babies for a long time. They still do, but if you don’t want to wait until they agree on that, you can decide yourself. As it’s known, a firmer mattress is better as it keeps the baby’s body in a proper position, not allowing it to curve. In order to check which model is firmer, you just need to press on those you like.
Springs keep the mattress firm, but after some time they will lose their strength. However, if you buy a high-quality mattress, it will last long enough, until your kid outgrows it. On the other hand, foam comes in different densities (low, medium, and high). If you aren’t sure which one is the best, you can ask a pediatrician.
Mattress for Baby Playpens
Although many think of playpens as suitable for babies of 6 months and up and toddlers, they can also be used for younger babies (supervised). If you are looking for a playpen mattress, you need to look for models that are specially made for these types of beds. They are a little bit bigger than a simple crib and are called mats.
Crib Mattress for Hospital Use
This type of mattress is designed exclusively for use in hospitals or clinics. There are mattresses for adults and babies. Those are the ones used in the pavilions or in the retainers, where the babies are placed for the first time. They have anti-bedsores, anti-ulcers, and other benefits since they reduce friction and humidity. There are also standards for less special needs.
Anatomical and Semi Orthopedic Mattress for Babies
These crib mattresses adapt to the body of the baby and are very soft and firm. However, it’s always better to buy orthopedic models to avoid a bad position of the baby’s spine and neck. Although they may cost a bit more, you should buy what’s best for your baby’s health.
Orthopedic Crib Mattress
These mattresses are made in a way that supports the baby’s body entirely, paying proper attention to the joints and the back. They are mostly used by people with pain in their back, neck, legs, or joints. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t buy one for yourself or your little bundle of joy. On the contrary, buying an orthopedic mattress for your baby will ensure greater support of the baby’s body and provide it with greater firmness.
Oval Baby Mattress
This type of mattress has a specific design and appearance. It perfectly adapts to the mini cribs, the bassinet, and the stroller. There are many models available on the market, in different sizes, materials, and quality, so you can choose the one that suits your baby most.
Waterproof Crib Mattress
These mattresses come with waterproof covers or protectors but are also waterproof themselves (the inner and outer material). They are very good and you can either cover them or not, depending on your preferences. However, it’s always better to do so as it will protect them from the exterior influences, such as dirt, wearing out due to friction with the baby’s body, and dust.
Latex Crib Mattress
Latex crib mattresses are comfortable and provide good support for growing children. They are made of latex, natural rubber, or a mix of both and are usually very expensive. One issue with these mattresses is that they are made of synthetic materials that may pose some risks. Therefore, you should inform yourself well before buying any type of mattress for crib.
What Are the Measurements of Baby Mattresses?
The measurements of the mattress of your baby’s crib are every mom or dad should know to make their life easier. As you already know, not all cribs are the same size. Hence, you should buy the crib and the mattress at once.
However, if you don’t buy both things at the same time, you should know the general measurements. The inside measurements are as follows:
- 47.24” x 23.62” and 49.21” x 24.41” – mattresses for average cribs
- 55.12” x 37.56” and 59.05” x 31.10” – mattresses for convertible cribs
In terms of thickness, they can be 2.36” and 4.72” thick, depending on whether it’s a travel or home crib. However, their thickness may vary depending on the manufacturer. When it comes to bassinets and mini cribs for newborns mattresses, they usually measure 29.52” x 20.47”.
Can I Have the Mattress for My Baby’s Crib Customized?
Yes, of course. There are companies dedicated to creating customized mattresses based on customers’ needs and preferences. It’s great they exist because there are babies and toddlers with special motor needs, Progeria, ichthyosis, or other conditions that need a good mattress that is suitable for them.
Apart from that, many customers ask for customized mattresses because they are remodeling the room and want to adapt the bed to a particular shape. That’s where these entrepreneurs come into action creating a mattress according to your wish.
How to Keep Baby Mattresses Clean?
In order to have healthy kids, we have to take care of them from the moment we find out they are on the way. The care then continues when they are born and all their life (or until they become adults and take care of themselves).
One way to keep them healthy and safe is to live in a clean environment. This includes the entire home, their belongings, and their mattress. Since we are focusing on crib mattresses in this article, here are tips to keep your crib mattress spotless and bacteria-free.
- Use a small manual vacuum cleaner on the mattress from time to time to make sure the mites stay away from the infant. It’s even better if you buy a special vacuum cleaner for that as the vacuum cleaner nozzle won’t get in touch with other surfaces. Hence, you’ll prevent every possible contamination of the mattress.
- If your child has allergies or asthma, make sure to wash the cover very well at 60° every week or every couple of days. In this way, you’ll eliminate all mites and bacteria.
- After vacuuming, apply a bit of soap powder without bleach and hot water to make a lather. You should add one tablespoon of soap powder for every five cups of hot water. If there are spots, you can also add a bit of lemon juice. Then, you need to rub the mattress very gently with a damp cloth or a sponge on all sides. Don’t apply much pressure at it will be harder to dry the mattress. In order to prevent mold, place it to dry on the sun. If it’s not too sunny, place the mattress in a cool and dry place with good air circulation where it won’t get dirty.
- As a final tip, you can put a bit of baking soda on both sides of the sprinkled mattress when it has dried, and leave it like that for an hour or two before vacuuming. It will absorb and eliminate any odor that is present.
You can maintain good hygiene by cleaning your crib, the covers, pillows, and any other thing related to your baby often. You should wash them every two or three days by hand so that you don’t damage delicate fabrics in the washing machine.
Cot Mattress Accessories
In some stores, the mattresses come with all the accessories while in others not. If the mattress you want to buy doesn’t include any accessories, you can buy them separately. Regardless of whether they are included or not, these three accessories are must-have for every newborn and usually comes with the mattress.
Baby Mattress Covers
The mattress covers are the most essential accessory mattresses come with. They provide protection to the infant from the direct contact with the mattress, prevents mess, and it protects the mattress from any external agent. They are made from PVC, cotton terry, or a mix of both materials. If, by any chance, you notice your baby sweats a lot because of the plastic cover, remove it, and replace it with a cotton one.
Crib Mattress Sheets
The sheets are another important accessory you can’t miss as they add additional protection to the baby and the mattress (and mattress cover). They have to fit the mattress in so that they don’t come off the corners. This can be dangerous as it may entangle or (God forbid) suffocate the baby if it happens at a time when you don’t see it (while sleeping at night).
Baby Mattress Pillows
They come in different sizes and even materials, but not all include a mattress pillow cover. There are hypoallergenic ones that are the most recommended – some softer than others and even elastic. For a newborn, it’s best to place a rectangular or square pillow that fits the bed. When they get a bit older, you can use some cushions with a teddy bear shape or similar.
How to Choose Your Crib Mattress?
Now that you know what you should take into account about mattresses, choosing the best one is easy. You must verify that it adapts to the bed, even if you think that they come in a standard size. Also, you need to make sure the spaces between the mattress and the crib aren’t wider than a finger for the safety of the infant and your tranquility.
Moreover, you must consider the firmness of the mattress and make sure it’s of high quality. It’s because your baby or babies (if having more than one) need good support of their body. Another thing, the mattress must be made of non-toxic material and in the right size to fit the crib, thus avoiding an accident.
Of course, the brand and the place where you are going to buy the mattress from affects the quality of the product. However, sometimes you can find the mattress from a store or brand that wasn’t your first choice.
The mattress is essential to give the necessary support that your baby needs to be healthy. Hence, it’s very important to choose a model that offers great quality and is adapted to the infant or child’s age in terms of design and size. For instance, if the mattress has a label with the term High Resilience or HR foam, it’s a great mattress.
Regulations Baby Mattresses Should Follow
The regulations and standards baby mattresses need to follow change over time. In order to give you precise information on this, here we provide you with those currently in force or the most recent ones.
The European Committee CEN / TC 207 ‘Furniture’ published a European regulation applicable to mattresses for cribs and mini cribs, the EN16890: 2017 Standard a bit over two years ago. Among the many requirements that must be met, they indicate and I quote verbatim: “(…) the requirements and test methods for mattresses used in wooden cribs, travel cribs, mini cribs and hanging cribs for both domestic and non-domestic use are specified.”
The European Union published a rule to prevent crib-related infant accidents and I quote its objective: “(…) to avoid possible cases of suffocation, strangulation or, in the most serious cases, premature death in babies or children. The new safety requirements focus on items such as cribs, duvets, mattresses or sleeping bags, ” in addition to many interesting topics mentioned there.
The European regulation (EN 716-1: 2008: – Children’s cot and folding cots for domestic use) also orders that “ The space between the slats will be less than 6 cm. There should be no gap between the mattress and the bars, if it is more than two fingers it could catch your head.”
We recommend you take a look at these safety regulations (and some others) to make sure the mattress for the crib and the crib are safe for your baby and comply with all of them, especially if they are going to use if for around three years.