What Is the Best Sewing Machine on the Market?
If you have ever had your shirt caught or a hole in your pants, you have experienced the power of a good sewing machine. These machines have been used for a very long time to “repair” your clothes. They are very useful as they can fix your clothes as well as personalize them.
Having in mind that going to the tailor for minor fixes is silly and not every hole in the clothes can be manually sewed, more and more people decide to buy a sewing machine. Apart from easily fixing your clothes or adding details on them, these devices also save you money. No more often visits to the tailor for simple fixes. In fact, if you are skilled at sewing or are interested in learning the basics, you can create your own clothes at home without spending a dime, except for the material. So, you can create a simple summer dress or skirt for you or your daughter and some simple pants or shorts for your husband or son.
With such a great interest in sewing at home, there are hundreds of models available on the market. And, while that gives you a lot of options to choose from, it can also make finding the right machine harder. If we add that the market is full of models with dubious quality, choosing the best model can be tricky and time-consuming.
To have you from all that trouble, we have done the hard work and found the best sewing machines. So, let’s check them out.
Comparison of the Best Sewing Machines in 2020
Which Sewing Machine to Buy?
The 9 Best Quality-Price Sewing Machines
- HEAVY DUTY METAL FRAME: Adds stability and provides long lasting durability
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of accessories are included: all-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, seam ripper/lint brush, edge/quilting guide, needles, bobbins, screwdriver, auxiliary spool pin, and spool pin felt are all conveniently located and stored in the accessory tray. A soft-sided dust cover is also included in the packaging
- REVERSE STITCH SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER 4432 heavy duty sewing machine has a built-in reverse lever so you can sew in reverse and reinforce stitches
- Limited 90-DAY for Adjustments, Belts, Rings, Bulbs, Attachments; Limited 2-Year for Motors, Light assembly, Wiring, Switches, Speed control and Electronic Components; Limited 25-Year for Sewing Machine Head
- Included Components: Includes: All-Purpose, Zipper, Buttonhole, & Button Sewing Feet, Seam Ripper/Lint Brush, Quilting Guide, Needles, Bobbins, Screwdriver, Auxiliary Spool Pin, Spool Pin Felt, Soft-Sided Dust Cover, Manual, Power Cord, Foot Controller, Quick Start Guide
- 165 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The Brother XR9550PRW Project Runway machine includes 110 built-in utility, decorative and heirloom stitches including 8 styles of auto-size buttonholes, plus 55 alphanumeric sewing stitches
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: The Brother F.A.S.T. needle threading system takes care of threading the needle for you and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: Included with the XR9550PRW quilting and sewing machine is a protective hard cover, wide table, 8 sewing feet, instructional DVD and more
- LCD SCREEN: The intuitive LCD display allows you to easily choose your stitches and settings with the push of a button
- AT YOUR SIDE SUPPORT: The XR9550PRW quilting and sewing machine comes with Brother At Your Side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 sewing machine boasts an array of features that make creating elegant garments and gifts for yourself and others fun and exciting. The Sewing machine with 32 built-in stitches includes 6 Basic, 7 Stretch, 18 Decorative Stitches and 1 Fully Automatic 1-step Buttonholes. A large variety of stitches for all types of sewing and perfect for crafts, home decor, clothing construction and much more
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration, Machine Size - 15.5 x 6.25 x 12 inches
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The Singer 4452 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 1,100 stitches-per-minute, so projects can be sewn quickly. The 60% Stronger Motor than standard sewing machines allows it to sew through heavyweight fabrics with ease.
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: Four bonus Heavy Duty optimized accessories included: Even Feed / Walking Foot for layers of fabric, Non-Stick Foot for leather and vinyl, a 5-pack of Size 16 needles and a Clearance Plate for thick seams. Plus a variety of must-have accessories are included with all-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, seam ripper / lint brush, quilting guide, needles, bobbins, screwdriver, auxiliary spool pin, spool pin felt are all conveniently located and stored in the accessory tray. A soft-sided dust cover is also included in the packaging
- BEST SELLING SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 sewing machine is a true workhorse. The stainless steel bedplate enables smooth fabric flow and the heavy duty interior metal frame ensures skip-free sewing. Top drop-in bobbin is easy to insert, remove and monitor thread supply
- 37 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The Brother XR3774 includes 37 built-in stitches including blind hem, decorative and quilting stitches and a one-step buttonhole
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: This sewing and quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The XR3774 quilting and sewing machine comes with a machine cover, wide table, 8 sewing feet, instructional DVD, and more
- VERSATILE FREE ARM: The Brother XR3774 is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing and quilting projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- AT YOUR SIDE SUPPORT: The XR3774 quilting and sewing machine comes with Brother At Your Side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
- 1,500 STITCHES PER MINUTE MAX SEWING SPEED: Maximum stitching of up to 1,500 stitches per minute allows you to sew and quilt more in less time
- ADVANCED NEEDLE THREADING SYSTEM: This sewing and quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The PQ1500SL longarm sewing and quilting machine comes with a wide table, 7 sewing feet, knee-lifter, instruction manual and more. The removable knee-lifter enables you to lift your presser foot with your knee, leaving both hands free for fabric handling
- PRECISION PIN FEEDING SYSTEM: It's so easy to sew a wide variety of fabric thicknesses thanks to Brother's Pin Feed system for precision fabric feeding
- AT YOUR SIDE SUPPORT: The PQ1500SL quilting and sewing machine comes with Brother At Your Side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
- 50 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW features 50 built-in stitches including 5 auto-size buttonholes
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The CS5055PRW comes with 7 sewing feet, 3-piece needle set, twin needle, instruction manual and more
- LCD SCREEN: Simply select your stitches with the push of a button and view your selection on the LCD display
- AT YOUR SIDE SUPPORT: The CS5055PRW sewing machine comes with Brother At Your Side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
- PUSH BUTTON STITCH SELECTION: The SINGER Stylist 7258 sewing machine allows you to select the desired stitch with just a simple push of a button. Optimum settings for length, width and tension are set automatically and are customizable with adjustable stitch length and stitch width. Volts : 120V. Amps : 0.62. Watts-74
- WARRANTY: SINGER Stylist 7258 Sewing Machine has 25 Year Limited Warranty , 60 Hertz
- This sewing machine is warranted for use in the US and Canada at 110 volts only
- SINGER PORTABLE SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER 3232 portable sewing machine features 32 built-in stitches, a built-in 1-step buttonhole, built-in needle threader and a heavy-duty metal frame making sewing creative projects fun and easy
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle’s eye in seconds. The built-in needle threader helps you thread the eye of the needle effortlessly
- SEWING SPEED: The SINGER 3232 sewing machine has a maximum speed of 750 stitches-per-minute, so larger projects can be sewn quickly
- HIGH PRESSER FOOT LIFTER: The SINGER Simple 3232 sews several layers of thick fabric. The presser foot can be raised to a higher position for easy positioning of your project
- AUTOMATIC REVERSE SEWING MACHINE: Push the conveniently located automatic reverse button to sew in reverse and reinforce the stitching
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: It has 11 Built-in Stitches- 6 Basic Stitches, 4 Decorative Stitches, 1 Built-in Buttonhole—perfect for crafts, home decor, fashion sewing and much more
- ADJUSTABLE NEEDLE POSITION: The needle can be changed to any of the three available positions to add zippers or a decorative touch with topstitching and cording
- HIGH-QUALITY SEWING MACHINE: The heavy-duty metal frame adds stability, and with a strong motor, sewing a higher quantity of items more quickly and efficiently at 1,100 stitches per minute is achievable
- ADJUSTABLE PRESSER FOOT CONTROL SEWING MACHINE: Sew very lightweight and heavy weight fabrics with ease by adjusting the presser foot pressure
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Heavy Duty 4411 sewing machine is a true workhorse. With a heavy-duty metal interior frame, stainless steel bedplate, extra-high sewing speed and powerful motor, the SINGER Heavy Duty 4411 can sew a wide range of fabrics.Volts:120 V
What Should You Consider before Buying a Sewing Machine?
1. User’s Level
Regardless if you are a complete beginner or have some experience using a domestic sewing machine, there’s a model for you. Actually, there are two types of sewing machines based on the user’s level – for beginners and for experts. Those for beginners are very easy to handle and allow rookies to try out sewing for the very first time. On the other hand, those for experts are made for experienced sewers who have several projects behind them. Some of them are great for beginners and the more experienced ones. So, you can choose the type of machine based on your level as well as the durability and use you will give it.
The functions of a sewing machine are the feature that makes a certain model useful or not, and to what extent. All the models that we present in the comparison above, have a multitude of functions which allow users to make the most of their sewing machine. If you want to check them out, you can simply click the link of each model. Knowing the functions (possibilities) of a sewing machine will help you decide which model better meets your needs.
3. Size and Weight
When choosing between one model or another, you have to think about whether your sewing machine will be fixed in one place of your home or you will probably move it from one room to another, or even take it with you on vacation. Considering this feature will help you decide which size sewing machine you need. If you plan to place and leave it in one place, you can go for a robust model. But, if you want a portable one, you should choose a compact and lightweight model.
4. Manufacturer’s Warranty
A mechanical product must always have a good guarantee from the manufacturer. It’s because it denotes the quality of the product, its longevity, and covers you in case of breakdowns or when needing replacing the parts or even the entire machine with a new one (if the malfunction is caused by a mistake from the manufacturer).
Some brands, like Singer, offer an exceptional warranty. In that way, you rest assured you bought a good quality model. Similarly, Amazon offers a good after-sales service in case the machine arrives defective and you need to return or replace it. If you don’t want to risk and want to buy a high-quality machine, you can check out the models above. They make sure you buy a strong and durable machine worth the price.
What Is a Sewing Machine?
As the name suggests itself, it’s a machine that serves for sewing fabrics together with thread. This is possible thanks to its components, which determine the performance of the sewing machine, Those components are the motor, the spinning system, and the needles.
How to Choose the Best Sewing Machine?
Now that we’ve covered what a sewing machine is and what you need to consider when buying one, we can proceed to the technical features of the machine. They are the ones that help you make the best choice. So, let’s take a look at them.
There are numerous types of stitches, which makes this feature one of the most important ones. Each model can include a specific number of stitches. While some models offer only a few basic stitches, others offer 8, and some even as much as 255. In order to decide upon how many types of stitches you want, you need to think of what you will use your matching for. Namely, if you need it only for simple stitches, you should buy a basic sewing machine with a few stitches. On the other hand, if you need it for more decorative and advanced usage, you should go for a model with lots of stitches.
Stitch Length and Width
Apart from the stitch type, you should also consider the stitch length and width. It’s because these things define the quality of the seam, the distance between each one, and the deviation of the needle when making the specific type of stitch. If you want to have a versatile sewing machine, you should choose a model that allows you to make different lengths and widths in your stitches.
The buttonhole is a hole that the apparatus makes on a garment to insert a button. Hence, the buttonhole of a sewing machine is a system that allows creating these buttonholes. There are 2 types of buttonholes based on their frequency and user’s requirements: manual and electronic. The manual ones are made in 4 steps by the machine. On the other hand, the electronic ones make buttonholes in 1 step. In this way, they save you lots of time and effort.
The number of needle positions determines the number of stitch types and the versatility of the machine. The more positions are on the machine, the better. In order to buy a sewing machine with multiple needle positions, you need to make sure the needle can be easily moved.
Types of Sewing Machines
There are lots of sewing machines on the market of different types. In order to know which one to choose, you need to know the types and what each one is for. So, let’s find this out.
- Straight stitch sewing machine: Also known as stitching machine, this type allows sewing with 1, 2 or 3 needles at once. When using 1 needle, it performs a so-called closed seam whereas when it uses more needles, it performs a flat seam.
- Overlock machine: This type is used for making complete seams as it stitches over the already-made seams. There are 3 types of these sewing machines according to their use: domestic, professional, and industrial.
- Covering machine: These machines are flat seam machines that are specialized for knitted fabrics. They perform centered seams and topstitching.
- Collared machine: This is the type of sewing machine you need if you want to make collars and sleeves because they make curves.
- Blind hem machine: Used for making invisible seams, such as hems on skirts or pants.
- Docking machine: This type is used to ensure openings.
- Buttoning machine: These machines are specialized for sticking buttons on different garments.
- Buttonhole machine: Theis type makes buttonholes and cuts them by itself.
- Closing machine: It’s used to make a French stitch with a chain stitch to close the sides on pants, shirts, and sleeves.
What Is a Sewing Machine for?
As one would’ve guessed from its name, it’s a machine for sewing. You can sew from the simplest things, like holes in the clothes, to complex ones, like sewing clothes (dresses, skirts, shorts, pants) or making bed covers. But, these devices, are more than simple machines that sew fabrics together. They can make much more efficient seams, with a better finish than when they are made by hand, thus being able to make drawings or patterns while sewing.
They help you make the best seams by allowing you to change the needle and thread. Therefore, if you aren’t satisfied with the model, you just need to find where the needle and thread are and replace it.
How to Use a Sewing Machine?
- Find the power button.
- Locate the spool pin.
- Find the thread guide.
- Locate the bobbin winder.
- Find the buttons to adjust the stitch.
- Locate the thread pull lever.
- Find the presser foot lever.
- Locate the needle lever.
- Find the protractor.
- Locate the coil cover and the button to open it.
Once you’ve found and seen these parts, it’s time to prepare the machine, so you can start sewing. To do that, you need to:
- Place the machine on a table or a piece of furniture specially made for it. The most important thing is that it’s resistant to weight, pressure (the force you apply with your body while sewing), and vibrations (light vibrations caused by the working of the machine).
- Roll up and insert the coil.
- Start threading the machine.
- Pull out both threads.
- Plug the machine in and turn it on by pressing the power button.
Okay, so you’ve prepared the machine for sewing. Now, it’s time to start sewing with the machine. While it may seem difficult at first, sewing (at least, the basic one) is easy after a bit of practice. Follow these steps to make sure you are using the machine properly.
- Choose a straight stitch and its median length.
- Before starting with the original garment you are going to work on, you should try first on a separate piece of fabric. Align the fabric by placing it under the needle. Then, bring the presser foot closer to it, while holding the ends of the loose threads. After that, press the needle wearing a thimble while looking for the reverse button and testing. The wheel that is located on one side is used to move the needle up and down. Set up its location (up or down), and then, cut the thread.
- Practice sewing a seam.
- Sew on another part of the fabric, such as a closed corner.
How to Thread a Sewing Machine?
To thread your sewing machine, the needle must be raised to its highest position, using the wheel at one end. Then, you must raise the presser foot in order to place the thread spool in the right place. After that, take the thread at its end and start passing it through each thread point of the machine. Move down to where the tension assembly is.
Make sure that the thread goes through the middle of the two discs to bring it to the hook at the top. Push the thread through the eye of the upper left lever and down so that the threading points are above the needle.
Afterward, thread the needle on its front side, leaving a few inches of thread to the left side to insert the coil correctly. This will also leave a few inches of excess thread which the needle will hook when you turn the wheel. In this way, the bobbin and the spool thread will be on the needle plate, ready to start sewing.
How to Calibrate a Sewing Machine?
If you notice that the machine is not sewing properly, even if it’s for a moment, it may be miscalibrated. In order to fix this issue, you have to clean it well with a brush. This will remove all the dust and thread residues that may be there.
Next, you should move the numbers in front of the needle and the button that tensions the thread. Also, you should check if the bobbin is properly installed and that the thread has the correct tension.
How Much Money Should I Spend on a Sewing Machine?
Having a sewing machine at home can be a blessing if you know how to use it and use it whenever needed. But, if you want a machine that performs great and can be used for a long time, you need to buy a model of good quality. In order to choose a good machine, you need to look at its price as it usually denotes its quality.
Based on the price, there are:
- Cheaper sewing machines (under $150) – These models have the basic performances and are ideal for beginners.
- High-quality sewing machines (over $150) – These models have a large number of functions that offer excellent quality in their stitches and finishes.