What Is the Best Portable Oven?
Have you moved away from your parents’ house? Maybe, you bought a studio. Congratulations on starting your independent life! While living alone has lots of benefits, it also has some drawbacks, such as thinking of all the things you need. Indeed, you have to think of and buy all appliances, furniture, food, and other household items you need as your mom and dad aren’t there to do the work. And, living in a studio requires a lot of planning as the space is limited so all furniture and appliances need to be compact.
One of the most-used appliances you will need at home is an oven. But, if you don’t have much space, it’d be best to buy a benchtop oven. They are small, portable, and you can store them in your kitchen cabinets or keep it on the countertop.
Interested in buying one? Here are the best portable ovens in 2020 based on their features and quality.
Comparison of the Best Benchtop Ovens in 2020
Buying Guide of the Best Electric Mini Ovens in 2020
Don’t these ovens look amazing? If you’re still not sure which model to buy, here’s everything you need to know to make the right choice.
Are These Small Ovens Suitable for Baking?
Most small ovens are used for making pastries without any problem. Your oven will fulfill this function more easily if it has resistance above and below, especially if it’s a convection oven.
What Is the Oven’s Capacity?
Most portable ovens have a capacity of 11.88 gallons. Also, there are smaller or larger models that fit the needs of each person. The largest one holds up to 15.85 gallons and the smallest one 9.24 gallons.
How Much Power Does the Portable Oven Have?
Almost all benchtop ovens have power close to 2000 W. This power is more than enough to prepare any type of food and usually allows reaching temperatures of up to 250ºC without any problem.
Different Types of Small Home Ovens
Microwave ovens have been a common element in our kitchens for many years. More and more people use them to make different recipes, although we have to adapt to their specific way of working. Today, microwaves are used for frying, cooking, and roasting food. You just need a little research to find out how to achieve the best result.
Convection ovens use a fan that circulates hot air evenly inside the appliance. In this way, they distribute heat better, thus ensuring more efficient and uniform cooking. Plus, it takes less time to prepare the food.
If you want to enjoy some tasty roasts prepared in your oven, there are a few tips you should follow. First, choose a model with enough capacity for what you want to cook. Second, make sure it has a suitable power and temperature regulator for that function. Third, make sure it has a grid and/or an accessory so that the meat turns while it’s cooking.
This is the must-have oven for toasted bread and pizza lovers. These models need power ranging from 800 W to 1500 W to function correctly. Apart from toasts and pizzas, you’ll be able to prepare other foods, even for grilling meat although you’ll have to wait a bit longer.
Microwave Ovens with Grill
One of the common complaints of microwave users is the lack of a grill for adding a perfect touch to the recipes that need to be grilled. With this oven, there’s no such issue as it combines both functions. The grill will allow, for example, that the cheese is perfectly gratinated before removing the plate or giving it a golden touch that we like in certain foods.
What Is an Electric Desktop Oven?
An electric desktop oven is an appliance very similar to a microwave. It’s used to prepare baked food in the same way as the traditional oven does. This product has the body and design of a microwave and the function of the conventional oven. Having the comfort of both of these devices into one provides us with many advantages and benefits.
As first, you won’t have to make big changes in the kitchen to install the portable oven. You just need to find the ideal place to put it and that’s it. If you don’t want to keep it in sight, as a decoration, you can store it once you’re done using it. Most mini ovens have a modern design that adds an elegant touch to the room.
Second, the size of these appliances is almost equal to that of a microwave. They have dimensions 15.75 x 15.75 x 12.6 inches. Hence, they are very compact and can be placed in the corner or by the end of the countertop.
When it comes to the price, this device is much cheaper than its competitors. In fact, the best countertop ovens are usually cheaper than traditional ovens. Indeed, with the $200 you’d spend on a conventional oven costs, you can buy four portable electric ovens. Although smaller and cheaper, these appliances use a lot of power, around 2000 W, which allows the heat to penetrate into the center of the food. This creates the perfect golden color in the meals prepared in these ovens.
What Should I Take into Consideration When Buying a Benchtop Oven?
Portable ovens are a great and convenient replacement for traditional ovens as they are compact, transportable, and easy to work with. So, how can we not love them? But, with the wide variety of these appliances on the market, it can be hard to choose the model that best suits your needs. It’s because each model has its own features which make them more or less suitable for you.
Therefore, if you want to buy a quality model that suits your needs and preferences, you need to consider some of their features.
Many of the appliances have a container to place food. Whether it’s a fryer, bread maker, express pot, etc., the measuring mechanism is a liter. In order to choose the same capacity, you need to consider both, the type of food you are going to cook and the number of people who are going to eat it. This will tell you how many liters the desktop oven needs to be. Most purchased models are those between 25 and 40 liters, which is suitable for 3 to 6 people.
Although this point also depends on the type of food you are going to prepare, certainly, the more power the mini oven has, the more efficient it is. We never have enough efficiency and, if you want to cook large and solid food, you will need full energy in order to cook it properly. To choose the best appliance, you must ensure it has at least 1500 W.
Additionally, you have to be careful when buying a mini oven as there are inexpensive models with power less than 1000 W. They are useful only preparing simple meals, not more complex recipes. But, don’t forget that the more power it has, the more electricity it will consume.
Regardless of why you need and what you will use the mini oven for, the thermostat is a must-have. Depending on what you prepare, the minimum temperature is between 80°C or 90°C or heating of 250°C. Many users who use these appliances have given them a high rating for their function. As they report, the temperatures worktop ovens reach are perfect for preparing any type of food, and using them is very simple. If you want to enjoy the benefits of this feature, make sure the model you want to buy has it.
No one wants to spend lots of time cleaning appliances. Well, you don’t have to worry about that because these electric appliances are much easier to clean, compared to traditional ones. To enjoy this benefit, you need to make sure the surface of the tabletop oven is made of a nonstick material. In this way, you will considerably shorten the time of the sanitizing process.
This feature is included in many household appliances today. It makes cooking easier since you don’t have to write down the time when you put the food in the oven. It’s especially important for busy or forgetful people because it signals them that the food is cooked so they don’t forget and burn it. What makes it a great feature is that you can use it for other activities apart from cooking, such as working out or practicing a time-limited speech for work or school.
Traditional Oven vs Standard Oven
There are two categories of electric table ovens – a traditional and a standard one. The first one works by dispersing heat throughout the interior of the appliance, thus providing a more pleasant and expensive effect. The second one includes a thermostat which allows us to regulate the temperature. Hence, we can toast, roast, and, of course, bake food.
How Much Does a Portable Oven Cost?
These appliances are perfect from any point of view. That’s why there are lots of options available on the market. With the different models come different prices. So, people can choose between a simple oven or a more sophisticated, advanced model. Regardless of which type of high-quality mini oven you choose, its price can’t be compared with that of a gas oven.
The best-selling portable ovens are from recognized brands and have some great features. They are available in online stores for a price of no more than $51. The models with similar quality and same functionalities can be purchased for no more than $42.
The high-end models cost around $179 but allow you to prepare everything you can think due to their power of 2000-2500 W and a capacity of 52 liters. From daily baking to roasts, to grilled meals and skewers, you can make all your favorite foods as if you are using a traditional oven. In short, these models are everything we ever wanted from a table oven and more without altering their design, which gives a modern touch to our kitchen.
Why Buy a Countertop Oven?
Countertop ovens have lots of advantages. From their compact design to their awesome features, to their easy of use. But, if you need more reasons why these appliances are a must-have for every home, especially the small ones, here are several other advantages, compared to the traditional ovens.
Portable ovens are”
- Affordable: They are usually much cheaper than conventional ovens and composite appliances.
- Flexible: Being appliances without installation, like microwaves, all you have to do is find a place to place yours and connect it to an electrical outlet. You can place it on the counter of your kitchen, in the summer house, the office, or even transfer it to a campsite if needed.
- Easy installation: These appliances don’t require complex installation as traditional ovens or built-in microwaves usually do. In order to install it, you just have to plug it into an electrical outlet.
- Lower energy consumption: One of the greatest benefits of these appliances is that they consume less electricity than the conventional ovens which results in lower electricity bills.
How to Clean a Desktop Oven?
Cleaning a desktop oven is pretty straightforward as each model comes with a manual that includes detailed cleaning instructions. That’s why you should always read it before cleaning. If you don’t want to bother reading it or you’ve lost the manual, here are the steps you should take in order to clean your mini oven properly.
- The first thing you should do before you start cleaning the mini oven is to turn it off and unplug it from the outlet. This is essential to avoid any dangerous incident.
- You can turn it on for a few minutes before cleaning because being a bit warm will loosen up the fat. Hence, it will be easier to remove it from the surface. However, don’t forget to unplug it before you actually start cleaning it.
- Protect your clothes with an apron or use old clothes while cleaning so that you don’t damage your clothes.
- Never use sharp instruments like metal knives or spatulas.
- Remove the trays and racks, then soak them in the sink with boiling water and detergent.
- Choose a suitable cleaning product and follow the directions on the label. Don’t forget to wear protective gloves to protect your hands.
- While cleaning the device with detergent, start rinsing the trays and racks that you previously soaked.
- Scrape the grates to remove the accumulated grease using a wire sponge.
- Wash the racks and trays with hot water.
- After 10 minutes, following the specifications of the cleaning products you used, check if the dirt has softened, and remove everything using a common sponge. Repeat the procedure if necessary.
- Rinse very well with hot water and a damp tissue.
How to Clean the Glass Door of a Mini Oven?
In order to clean the glass door, you should use hot water, white vinegar, or any glass cleaner in a spray bottle. Let the product work for about 10 minutes and rinse the door with hot water. After that, use a damp cloth all over the inside and the outside of the appliance to make sure there aren’t detergent residues.
Do Electric Benchtop Ovens Include All Programs?
Modern small ovens are very versatile. They have more cooking programs and different levels, so we can do everything we want, from roasting chickens to browning, to defrosting food. Also, you can use them to maintain the temperature of an already prepared meal.
Worktop ovens are taking a full swing thanks to their numerous culinary functions. Step by step, they are gaining more features, offer better energy efficiency, and are made of easy-to-clean materials.
How to Use a Portable Electric Oven?
Portable electric ovens are one of the most useful and practical kitchen appliances. Using them is pretty straightforward. However, if you’ve never had one before or aren’t sure how to use it, here are the instructions you should follow.
- First, choose the food you are going to prepare and consider the cooking instructions. If the appliance has to be preheated, simply turn on your mini oven and set the temperature specified on the recipe. In case there’s nothing else indicated, make sure you choose the central grill to get a prudent cook.
- If your portable oven has a timer, set the time indicated on the recipe. When a variable period (between the minimum and a maximum time of cooking, in minutes) is recommended, you should select the minimum time. In this way, you’ll prevent burning the food burns and continue to heat it if it’s not ready yet.
- During the cooking, occasionally check the oven to check if the food is being cooked normally. You can peek through the glass door of the appliance or gently open it to look inside. If you see that the dish is being cooked very fast, decrease the temperature for about 10 or 15 degrees.
- Finally, when the timer signals that the cooking time has ended or when you see that your food is ready, open the door of the appliance and remove the plate from the oven using kitchen gloves. Then turn it off and close the door. In case you think the dish needs a few more minutes to be perfectly cooked, leave it in the appliance for a while, but check it so that it doesn’t burn.
- When making a cake in a portable oven, make sure that it’s ready and that you can remove it from the oven. You can see if the cake is ready if it’s golden, bounces a little when touched, or if you insert a toothpick in the center and it’s dry.
- It’s essential to take care of the countertop oven to keep it in an optimal condition at all times. You can do that by following these instructions:
- If you’re going to cook something, you should use the same trays included in the appliance, as well as lacquered, enameled, and dark-colored ones.
- Avoid placing the trays very close or in direct contact with the internal heat source. Moreover, make sure they are placed in the center so that the heat is evenly distributed throughout the food.
- Store the portable oven in a space that doesn’t have very cold ventilation so that you don’t force electricity consumption. It’s because the temperature outside can affect that of the appliance.
- Finally, when cleaning the desktop oven, avoid using strong detergents to prevent damaging your appliance. Instead, choose something more natural, such as lemon and vinegar damp rags.
Portable electric ovens are, without a doubt, appliances with many advantages. They have so many functions and features, thus allowing you to cook most foods and prepare most recipes. They are becoming more and more common in our kitchen and, who knows, someday they may even replace the traditional oven. One thing is sure, benchtop ovens will continue to spread into more and more homes around the globe.