What Is the Best Machine to Make Yogurt at Home?
Yogurt is one of the most favored products for eating. It freshens up the body, especially in the hot summer days. But, yogurts bought in stores aren’t all-natural as they contain additives. If you want to eat natural products and your family to eat healthy food, you should consider making yogurt at home. It’s the only way to know what you eat.
But how can you make yogurt at home?
If you though homemade yogurt is difficult, even impossible, to make, you’re wrong. While this has been true in the past, now, you can easily make your very own yogurt at home using a yogurt maker.
If you want to learn more about it, keep on reading as here you will find the best yogurt makers on the market and everything else you should know about this product.
Comparison of the Best Yogurt Makers in 2020
- 12 JAR: Experiment with a variety of different flavors and thicknesses in one single batch!
- DELICIOUS & NUTRITIOUS: Homemade yogurt is fresher and healthier; free from colorings, preservatives, and artificial flavors.
- DIGITAL EASE: Features a LCD display and cooking time control.
- SLEEK & DURABLE: Stainless steel design with easy-view transparent top, and 12 quality constructed glass jars and lids.
- ETL CERTIFIED: We, at Gourmia, take the quality of our products seriously. This product is ETL certified so you can be confident that you’re receiving a safe, efficient, high quality appliance.
- CREATE NATURAL YOGURT ON YOUR OWN: This Euro Cuisine YMX650 Digital Automatic Yogurt Maker works on your counter-top to transform milk into regular yogurt in just a few hours. It includes 7 reusable 6 oz. glass jars with rotary date setting lids for hassle-free storage.
- SIMPLE OPERATION: Set it and forget it! Just heat up 42oz of milk, add our Euro Cuisine 5gr Yogurt Starter or 3-4 Tsp plain yogurt and set the timer. The blue LED Digital timer display will beep when your yogurt is ready. The machine will turn off automatically after 15 hours.
- ENRICHED WITH PROBIOTICS: This electric yogurt maker produces a higher dose of probiotics, which is healthier and more nutritious than commercial yogurt. It is free from any food additives, preservatives and artificial flavors. NOTE: In order to make Greek yogurt, you will need to use our Euro Cuisine GY50 Strainer and manually strain out the whey from the yogurt.
- A FLAVOR FOR EVERYONE: Meet the needs of the entire family with different flavors according to their likings. Whether it’s homemade strawberry jam, honey or vanilla flavoring, you’ll be in love with this machine! All containers are BPA-FREE, easy to clean and top rack DISHWASHER SAFE.
- 3-YEAR MANUFACTURER WARRANTY: You don’t want to compromise on convenience, and you shouldn’t compromise on quality either. We guarantee this Euro Cuisine YMX650 Yogurt Machine will provide you with pleasure and will satisfy your taste buds, or we will refund your entire purchase.
- Prepare and store yogurt in the same container: after yogurt is cultured in the included 32 oz Container, It can be stored right in the refrigerator
- Airtight storage: included plastic container is BPA-free in food zones and has snap-down clips for easy storage
- Digital controls: the convenient digital timer counts down the hours until your yogurt is ready An alarm will CHIRP to let you know when it’s done
- Easy to use and clean: preparing and storing yogurt in one dishwasher-safe container means less cleanup at the end and more consistent results
- Recipes included: Get inspired to create a variety of yogurts with different toppings and mix-ins
- HEALTHIER: Dash Greek Yogurt Maker Machine lets you make healthier, homemade yogurt right from your kitchen. You control the ingredients (Organic? Sweetened? Flavored? Plain?) making it better for you and your family
- COMPACT + LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighing 2lbs, this is a must-have for that first apartment, smaller kitchen, or college dorm. Plus, all accessories fit inside the base, taking up even less space, BONUS!
- QUICK + EASY: Set it and forget it! Prep time takes just 10 minutes (add milk, yogurt starter and other custom ingredients), leave overnight, and you will enjoy fresh, homemade Greek yogurt in just 8-12 hours (up to 2qts)
- PERFECT GIFT: The perfect wedding or new home gift. Its small size takes up little counter space, and its sleek design and trendy color options will match any kitchen décor (add to your registry now!)
- INCLUDES: Backed by a 1-year manufacturer warranty, the 20-watt Dash Greek Yogurt Maker, includes 2 BPA-free buckets with lids, strainer basket, recipe book, and recipe database access. All non-electric parts are easily wiped clean
- Makes up to 2 Quarts yogurt at one time
- BPA Free Yogurt Container
- Make homemade yogurt with any kind of milk, even soy Milk
- Includes 1 individual serving Bowl, Stainless Steel Thermometer and Cotton Bag for Making Cheese
- Three Year Warranty
- Preserves beneficial nutrients, live cultures and enzymes
- Lead-free and chemical free clay insert
- REMOVABLE CLAY INSERT and glass lid for easy cleaning and refrigeration
- Ideal making large batch Greek yogurt or yogurt cheese
- THREE TEMPERATURE SETTINGS (Off, High, Low,Yogurt)
- Allows you to control sweetness, ingredients, fat content, and thickness of yogurt
- Electronic 15 hours Timer with Auto Shut off
- Seven – 6oz Glass containers allows for making up to seven different types of yogurt at once
- BPA Free - 3 Year Warranty - 120Volt, 60Hz
- Make 100% natural, healthy yogurt easily at home; You decide what goes into your yogurt, whether it's organic milk, flavored, or just plain!
- Experiment with different flavors & thickness for 100% customized, natural & delicious results, free from colorings, preservatives, or artificial flavors
- Make fresh and healthy yogurt in your own home quickly and easily, with the flip of a switch
- Make up to 7 different types of flavors at a time for a delicious & nutritious batch that everyone in the family will enjoy. Includes 7 dish washer safe containers jars with twist-on covers
- Stainless Steel housing gives the product a fantastic finish, easy to clean and perfect for any kitchen or home; On/off switch and light indicating unit is working
- Power: AC110V (50Hz / 60Hz), power consumption: 22W
- High Capacity Yogurt Maker: about 500ml ~ 1000ml input milk box, suitable for family use
- Material: (Main body) ABS resin / (Lid)
- Free to adjust the temperature and time according to your personal flavor and thickness
- After-sales service enhancement: 2 years Warranty, we offer two years warranty from the date of purchase. If any problems while using, as long as you need our help, contact us, we are willing to offer you the 100% after-sale service.
Buying Guide of the Best Yogurt Makers for Home in 2020
You may not know it but there are many models of yogurt makers on the market. Each of them has different features and functions. Since having a wide variety of products can make choosing the right one tricky, we have prepared this guide. Here, you will find answers to the most common questions about this machine.
What Capacity Should My Yogurt Maker Have?
The capacity of yogurt makers ranges from 7 to 14 jars depending on the model. However, the most common is 12 jars. When looking at this feature, you should take into consideration the number of people that will use it. Namely, if you are going to use it only for yourself, 7 jars are more than enough. On the contrary, if you are going to use it for the whole family, you should buy a yogurt machine with a larger capacity.
How Easy Is It to Clean and What Material Is It Made of?
Cleaning a yogurt machine is very easy. The only part to be careful are the jars in which the yogurt is stored. Most of them are made of glass, so you can put them in the dishwasher. However, some models require washing by hand. This is something you should definitely consider.
Do It Have a Timer?
Yogurt makers that don’t have a timer are a bit more difficult to use than those that have. With a timer, you don’t have to think about the time the machine needs to make yogurt to stop the process manually. On the other hand, without a timer, if you forget the time, the yogurt will be very acidic and you may have to throw it away. If for any reason, you don’t want to buy a yogurt maker with a timer, you should buy an external one as they aren’t very expensive.
How Does a Machine to Make Yogurt Work?
Yogurt makers operate very simply. Briefly, you just have to mix the ingredients, put the mixture in the containers that come with the product, and let them make the yogurt for as long as it’s needed (usually between 8 and 12 hours).
Although you can add more ingredients, you always need to have at least two: some kind of milk and ferment. You can buy the ferment from a store or make it using already made yogurt. You can use them for preparing various yogurt-based meals, but the ones that are shown here come with instructions on how to prepare desserts.
Tips for Using Your Yogurt Maker
Reuse Your Own Yogurt
Instead of buying industrial ferment, you can reuse the yogurts you have already made. In this way, you will save money and prepare a more natural dessert. For instance, if you make 12 yogurts, you can eat 11 and leave one as an ingredient for the next batch.
Experiment with Different Times
The usual cooking time of yogurt is between 8 and 12 hours. But, you can experiment with the time, sometimes cooking for more and sometimes for less time. In this way, you’ll find the point (period of time) where your yogurt is exactly as you want it to be.
Try Unusual Ingredients
Why limit yourself to making plain yogurt? Having your own yogurt maker allows you to use the ingredients you want and try different flavors. Some of the most common ones are fruit, chocolate, and cinnamon. You can even change the milk. Instead of using regular milk, you can use vegetable milk, goat milk, sheep milk, and similar. In short, with a yogurt maker, you can create a completely personalized dessert according to your wish.
Advantages of Having a Yogurt Maker at Home
This amazing machine for making yogurts was very successful in the 80s. It’s also part of many kitchens today. It’s because making your own yogurt at home gives you many advantages, including:
- You save money by not having to leave your house to go to the supermarket to buy yogurt.
- You get a product of better quality – Yogurts sold in stores are made in factories. While they promote being natural, thus natural, they aren’t all-natural as they contain certain additives to keep the yogurt from spoiling. On the other hand, when making yogurt at home, you get a top-quality product made of all-natural ingredients and adjusted to your taste.
- Aside from quality, the homemade yogurt is healthier since you have autonomy and control over the ingredients you use to make it. Of course, they are natural, without dyes or preservatives.
- Get inventive in flavors – You can try different flavors by adding various ingredients and trying out different recipes you find online or get from your grandmother. You can even make chocolate and vegan yogurts – it’s up to you.
- Business opportunity – You can start your own sales business offering homemade yogurt. Who knows, you may become a big name in the yogurt industry?
- Convenient – The yogurt makes is easy to use and user-friendly. It’s incredibly useful as it allows you to make and enjoy your very own yogurt and other desserts at home.
What other benefits can you ask for? Having a yogurt maker at home is the best.
Cleaning a Yogurt Maker by Hand
As we have previously mentioned in our Buying Guide, the best yogurt makers for home are easy to use. While most models are simply put in the dishwasher, others need to be washed by hand. Here’s how you can do that:
1. Disconnect the appliance from the electrical outlet.
2. Clean the yogurt maker with a damp cloth. Don’t use any abrasives or immerse them in water or any other liquid.
3. The jars can be washed in the dishwasher with water and detergent as if you were washing any glass.
Other Types of Yogurt Makers
There’s a great variety of yogurt makers on the market. Therefore, you can choose the model that best suits your needs and preferences. It can be for home use or business use in your commercial premise. Regardless of where you will use it, you should know there are various types of this appliance. Here we list them to help you decide which one is the right for you and your family:
- Organic yogurt maker. They are small yogurt-making machines that don’t require electricity and tend to have a small capacity. In order to work, they just need hot water.
- Yogurt maker without glasses. Prepare your yogurt in a single container simply with this very easy to use and fully-functional device. Some models don’t have an automatic shutdown function.
- Yogurt maker with a thermostat. These models are adjustable and have an in-built timer.
- Yogurt maker with lid. This type of yogurt maker comes with a lid that is generally transparent to observe the yogurt-making process. Some models can have a handle for a better grip.
- Yogurt maker with filter. Some electric yogurt makers come with a special filter to make Greek yogurt.
- Baby yogurt maker. Any type of these devices can be turned into a baby yogurt maker. You just have to use special, artificial milk for babies to prepare the yogurt.
- Semi and industrial yogurt makers. These types are used in commercial properties, for business purposes. They have large capacities from 3.96 gallons to 79.25 gallons. Aside from making yogurt, these models can pasteurize, cool, and, ferment the yogurt.
- Professional yogurt makers. Professional yogurt makers, as their name implies, are used for business purposes. There are many brands you can trust when it comes to choosing a professional yogurt maker. These models are multifunctional and comprehensive. They do much more than making yogurts – they can dry fruits and vegetables and dehydrate food, even herbs and meats. Moreover, they can be multi-tiered to make more yogurts. Some models come with built-in coolant.
Which Yogurt Maker to Buy?
As you can see, there are plenty of types of yogurt makers on the market. Some of them are very simple and others are sophisticated. If you are new to this field and are looking for your first machine to make yogurt, you should check out the products in the Recommended Products section. All the models presented in this section are of great quality and have positive user reviews. They’ve been selected by our purchasing specialists to ensure you get the best recommendations of yogurt makers. Of course, you can also search online for specialized stores for yogurt makers.
How to Choose the Best Yogurt Maker?
If you love yogurt and like it homemade, in various flavors, you can make it on your own, at home, with a special yogurt-making machine. A good yogurt maker will help you create the best dessert according to your taste to make sure you enjoy every bite of it. In order to choose the right one for you, you should take into account the brand, price, and the following aspects:
- Easy to use – The machine must be easy to use so that you can make yogurt without much hassle. In order to choose one like that, you need to take a good look at how each model you like is used.
- Timer – Having a yogurt maker with a timer is very beneficial as it notifies you when the process is over. Hence, you don’t have to constantly monitor the making of yogurt. Some of the models presented in the Buying Guide of the best yogurt makers for home have this feature. If you buy a model that doesn’t have a timer, you will have to buy a separate one to know when to turn off the machine, which is an additional expense.
- Capacity – The capacity of the yogurt maker depends on the size of the machine and the amount of yogurt you want to make. It refers to the amount of yogurt that comes out in each preparation.
- Glass jars – If you want to have a more convenient cleaning experience, you should go for a yogurt making machine with glass jars. Of course, some models don’t have glass jars but containers made of other materials and look like any kind of jug of juice.
More About Yogurt Makers
We have covered the most important things about machines to make yogurt. However, there are many other things you should also be aware of before choosing a model for home use. Many of them you probably didn’t even know about but are good to know for making the most of your yogurt maker. So, let’s check them out!
Yogurt Makers Temperature
Fermentation happens at a certain temperature, which is between 40 ° C and 45 ° C. The temperature shouldn’t exceed the maximum value as it curdles better when maintaining a constant temperature. In fact, temperature maintenance is the key to making yogurt since the bacteria responsible for making the yogurt curd die if the given values are exceeded.
You shouldn’t touch the machine during the process and wait until the program has finished. Once finished, you need to take the hard out of the machine and place the yogurt in the fridge. Then, you have to wait a few more hours until the yogurt cools completely.
Yogurt Maker as an Incubator?
Sounds weird, right? But, it’s actually true. You can use your yogurt maker to keep eggs that you can’t place in other nests. You need to heat the machine to 42 °C and place a bed of sawdust of 0.78 inches. In this way, you’ll be able to regulate the temperature, possibly up to 39 °C.
Then, you have to put a glass with water to keep the humidity and keep the yogurt maker closed. You should open the machine only to ventilate it and to turn the eggs. In this way, you will ensure the eggs are fertilized without incubating (applies more to eggs that have been abandoned) and can start their development. After two days, you will notice the heartbeat. After a week, you’ll notice movements inside the eggs. That means it’s time to pass the eggs to a nest, discarding the infertile ones.
And that would be all. When the chicks come, you need to feed them and take good care of them. Make sure you have enough time to dedicate to them as they need lots of care to survive the first few weeks after being born.
Can You Make Ice Cream in a Yogurt Maker?
Ok, so here is one very important question we all want to know the answer to. And, the answer is YES! You can make delicious ice cream in various flavors using this useful appliance. However, in order to make ice cream in the yogurt maker, it has to be specialized. Hence, you need a special yogurt maker that also functions like a refrigerator – a 2 in 1 solution.
These devices are usually a bit more expensive than a yogurt maker and refrigerator alone, but they are worth it because you can take advantage of a single item to do two completely different things. On the Internet, you can even find models that come with recipes, which will guide you through the process for the best result.
Can You Make Yogurt Without a Yogurt Maker?
Yes, you can, by using the traditional way of making yogurt. In order to do that, you will need a thermal box, a fermented mixture of yogurt, either homemade or purchased (Greek), and a heater. Once you have these items, you should follow these steps:
- Prepare a thermal box. You should get a container that is insulated enough to maintain a constant temperature for at least 8 hours. This can be achieved by using two cardboard boxes, placed one inside the other, and denim or cotton between them. You can also use a portable refrigerator, boxes of expanded polystyrene, or white cork.
- To make yogurt without a yogurt maker, you have to prepare the mixture you always use to make your yogurt. Then, set the correct temperature using a kitchen thermometer or put a finger in the mixture; if it burns after 10 seconds the mixture is ready.
- One of the things you should do is boil water while the mixture is being made. Then, store it in a container you can put in the thermal box you will use to maintain the temperature.
- When the mixture is made, store the glass containers, with yogurt in them, in the box for a minimum of 8 hours.
And ready! You have made your yogurt without electricity. But keep in mind that there’s nothing like yogurt made in a special machine.
Benefits of Eating Homemade Yogurt
Industrial yogurts contain a lot of sugars, preservatives, and dyes. While it’s ok to consume them occasionally, you should consume them every day. With an all-natural, homemade yogurt, you don’t have to worry about that. It’s because it not only is healthy and natural but it also has multiple benefits, including:
- Provides you with calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus – the essential minerals for keeping the bones healthy.
- It’s a good source of vitamin D, potassium, and vitamin B12.
- The probiotics in yogurt improve digestion. While the nutrients in yogurt are good for everyone, the mix of carbohydrates and proteins (0.28 oz/glass) makes it ideal for athletes, young people, children, and the elderly.
- Regulates blood circulation and can reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- It contributes to muscle recovery, while the potassium contained in it helps rescue important electrolytes for muscle fiber.
- Strengthens our immune system, thus preventing infections. Consuming a serving of yogurt daily can decrease the chance of vaginal infections.
- Regulates the stomach acidity and alleviates lactose intolerance thanks to the lactobacilli present in yogurt, which digest it.
- The probiotics present in some types of yogurt can lower blood cholesterol and can also cure or at least alleviate allergies.
- Stabilizes the intestinal flora, thus avoiding diarrhea.
- Prevents the development of harmful bacteria in the intestines.
- The beneficial bacteria present in fermented milk can also decrease the risk of various types of cancer.
- Helps you prevent cavities thanks to the lactic acid contained in it.
- Substituting certain foods for yogurt (with the same caloric content), helps obese people lose weight.
- Yogurt contains lactic acid, which can help exfoliate the upper layers of the epidermis, lighten blemishes, and discolorations, and even reduce wrinkles.
- Eating a serving of yogurt a day has more active and stronger T cells, which helps prevent colds.