What Is the Best Robot Vacuum Cleaner?
Are you tired of quarreling with dust, lint, and hair around the house? Do you have enough of sweeping the floor every day? Don’t worry, because we have a solution. We present to you the vacuum robots.
Vacuum robots are intelligent automatic vacuum cleaners that will leave your home perfectly clean, without having to worry about a thing. These products have been on the market for over a decade and haven’t stopped improving until they became a key household product for cleaning. They even scrub the floor. Isn’t that amazing?
If you add the fact that their prices have dropped a lot and these vacuum robots are now more accessible (even below 216 USD), we can say that they are the perfect item for cleaning the home. Here we bring you the best robot vacuum cleaners on the market in value for money. We hope they will be of great help.
2020 Robot Vacuum Comparison
Tips for Comparing and Choosing a Good Cleaning Robot
When buying the best value-for-money automatic vacuum cleaner on the market, you must take into account some aspects, such as:
- Types of floor: You must always take into account the type of floor on which your vacuum cleaner will work. It’s not the same if your floor is a tile, parquet, mop, or carpet. This is important because some models of smart vacuum cleaners don’t work well on hard or soft floors. Moreover, their brushes or rollers may be too aggressive for a certain type of floor and can damage it.
- Autonomy: The battery life is a key feature, which depends on the size of the area you want to clean. The average battery life is usually between 1h and 3h depending on the quality of the model you have purchased. When looking at the battery life, keep in mind that the manufacturer gives you an approximate value since it can last longer if you have the vacuum cleaner in eco mode or less if it is at its maximum power.
- Rollers: Here’s another point to keep in mind since they are responsible for the actual cleaning. Usually, during the maintenance tasks, we will talk about later, it’s necessary to clean the rollers of the device so that they can work efficiently. There are also anti-hook rollers, which you should avoid when cleaning more difficult areas such as carpets and similar.
- Noise: You also have to take into account the noise level of these vacuum robots, because although they are silent, they will still make some noise. Therefore, you should always test the amount of noise you can tolerate and make sure it’s not too annoying. Also, you should take into account the time when you are going to schedule the cleaning since if you do it while you are at work the notice doesn’t matter. Nonetheless, it’s recommended to have a noise below 70 dB.
- Filter: This is another very important feature since your vacuum cleaner will collect dust and dirt. These things can stay in the air if the filter isn’t good. Therefore, it’s best to use HEPA filters because they are usually a good technology. You can also use AeroVac filters which are found in the Roomba brand. They are their version of the HEPA filter.
- Orientation system: This part is what determines the price of the product and makes it more or less expensive. the cheapest models choose a random area on the floor to be cleaned, have an obstacle detector that prevents them from colliding and changing area. However, the most advanced models have a house mapping system that creates a plane of the surface that needs to be cleaned. They follow the system intelligently in order to be more efficient.
Why Buy an Automatic Robot Vacuum Cleaner?
If you want to know when it’s a good idea to have a good autonomous vacuum cleaner, here are some examples:
- If you are a person with little time, it’s an ideal option to take care of cleaning the house. Enjoy your free time as you deserve.
- You have pets in your home (dogs or cats) that shed a lot of hair and leave the floor in a mess, an automatic vacuum cleaner will take care of it.
- You have a baby crawling all day on the floor and you need it to be perfectly clean.
- There are people with dust or mite allergies living in your house who need to have a clean and impeccable home at all times.
- For the elderly or people with reduced mobility who need help when cleaning, a self-contained vacuum cleaner will be the best solution.
The 10 Best Vacuum Cleaner Robots:
Next we are going to buy the most popular models of robot vacuum cleaners on the market value for money.
- Patented Neato technology - the laser smart mapping and navigation system scans and maps the room, plans, and methodically cleans instead of bumping around.
- D-Shape design with CornerClever technology gets close to walls and into corners offering maximum hair pickup. Picks up more pet hair than other bots;Charger Voltage : 110V, 220V
- SpinFlow Power Clean technology combines potent suction and precision brushes to leave floors immaculately clean. Includes easy-to-swap combo & blade brushes offering maximum cleaning. Precise edge cleaning side brush makes sure not a speck of dust is left behind.
- Auto-charge & resume lets your robot clean room to room - when it needs more power, it automatically returns to charge, then returns to where it left off & finishes the job. It tackles up to 3000 square feet of floor space per cleaning cycle with ease and automatically recharges
- For issues, please refer to the user manual or contact Neato support at 1-877-296-3286. Ensure that both the filter and dirt bin are clean and properly inserted
- Power Lifting Suction delivers 10X the air power for improved pick up performance; Automatically increases cleaning performance on carpets with Power Boost (Compared to Roomba 600 Series and AeroVac System)
- Patented iAdapt 2.0 Navigation with VSlam technology allows the robot to map its surroundings to clean an entire level of your home, around objects, and under furniture
- Ideal for homes with pets; Premium 3 stage Cleaning System cleans the dirt and pet hair you see and the allergens and dust you don't
- Dual Multi Surface Rubber Brushes adjust and flex to stay in constant contact with carpets and hard floors
- High efficiency filter traps 99 percent of cat and dog allergens
- BoostIQ™ Technology**: New feature automatically increases suction power when extra vacuuming strength is needed to get the best clean (Power Boost is now known as BoostIQ).
- New and Improved: An upgraded front-bumper streamlines RoboVac's profile to glide effortlessly under and around furniture while a reinforced suction inlet prevents wear.
- Upgraded 3-Point Cleaning System: A redesigned rolling brush –wider and reduces trapping rugs and sheets–, two side brushes, and powerful suction ensure a thorough clean.
- Premium Features: Anti-scratch tempered glass cover for protection, infrared-sensor for evading obstacles, and drop-sensing tech to avoid falls. Recharges automatically.
- What You Get: eufy RoboVac 11+, remote control (2 AAA batteries included), charging base, AC power adapter, cleaning tool, extra set of high-performance filters, extra set of side brushes, welcome guide and our worry-free 12-month warranty.
- Ready for any mess: Equipped with two side brushes and a main brush, DEEBOT will sweep, lift, and vacuum to clean an entire floor (Auto mode), a small area (Spot mode), or the edge of your floor (Edge mode)
- Voice & app controls: Alexa & Google Assistant voice commands. Ecovacs Smart App comes w/ 5+ advanced features including direct control, scheduling, status updates, cleaning modes, accessories status, etc
- Max mode power: Increase suction power by upto 2X for particularly troublesome messes
- Upto 110 minute run time: A longer battery life for even more cleaning Auto-return & charging means your robot will always be ready to clean
- Standard: 1-year warranty. Comes w/ (1) charging dock, (4) dual-length side brushes, (2) high efficiency air filter, (1) remote control w/ battery), (1) cleaning tool, customer Support
- SMART APP & VOICE CONTROLS: Use Alexa or Google Home voice commands to START and STOP cleaning. Use the smart app to check cleaning real-time map, customize cleaning, check cleaning status, provide online-service, schedule cleaning, share equipment with friends and receive error alerts.
- SUPERIOR FULL COVERAGE: This X500 robotic vacuum is equipped with Smart Mapping System to plan the path for each cleaning and navigate to uncovered areas intelligently, fully covering your home with S-shape routes. Initiates an intelligent back and forth cleaning path when cleaning hard-surface floors, providing efficient and thorough cleaning experience!
- POWERFUL CLEANING SYSTEM: This robot vacuum is engineered with V-shape dual rolling brushes & brushless motor with streamlined air duct design so that you can clean your space effectively with the HIGH SUCTION, LOW NOISE EXPERIENCE and COMPREHENSIVE CLEANING EFFECTS. Will pick dust, debris and anything on the floor. The suction is also powerful enough to be used on pet hair, which is usually a pain to remove!
- ENJOY SAFE SMART CLEANING: This Robotic Vacuum Cleaner is fitted with Fall prevention & anti-collision sensors with climbing and virtual protection band (optional) to help detect and avoid obstacles and falls.
- WORRY-FREE : We certain that this cleaning robot will solve your smart cleaning needs and that’s why Tesoro proudly and confidently offers a 30-day return policy and a 12-months manufacturer's against defects! Contact us in case of any question or queries!
- Map generation, path planning
- Brushless motor, the maximum air flow 0. 67m3 / min, 1800Pa maximum wind pressure, strong suction.
- Cover an area maximum 250 square meters; 96mm Slim design enables this Robot Vacuum to clean the narrow spaces of your home
- LG / Panasonic high energy density 18650 lithium-ion battery, capacity 5200mAh；At standard mode, the normal working time is 2. 5 hours; The battery safety is with a stainless steel shell design and safety protection devices such as PTC/CID
- Intelligent path planning, memory layout, corner covering, WIFI & app control, timing routine, battery safety, full day automatic clean for your cute home. [Note: this vacuum can be connected to smartphones, please download the MI Home App and follow the operating instructions(English in app)]
- Cleans For You: Clean your house with the click of a button. Versatile cleaning modes and the low-profile design facilitates cleaning under tables and chairs along with every nook and cranny.
- High-Capacity Li-ion Battery: Delivers strong suction power for up to 1.5 hours.
- 3-Point Cleaning System: Side brushes, a rolling brush and powerful suction ensure a thorough clean.
- Premium Features: Anti-scratch tempered glass cover for protection, infrared-sensor for evading obstacles, and drop-sensing tech to avoid falls. Recharges automatically.
- What You Get: eufy RoboVac 11, remote control (requires 2 AAA batteries, not included), charging base, AC power adapter, cleaning tool, High-Performance filter, 4 side brushes, welcome guide and our worry-free 12-month warranty.
- 【SUPER STRONG VACUUM SUCTION】 -With 1400PA powerful suction, Amarey A800 robot vacuum is perfect to clean annoying pet or human hair, dust, debris on carpet or hard floor. The robotic vacuum cleaner also has a large-capacity dustbin (20oz) which avoid using plastic garbage bags. Comparing with traditional vacuum cleaner, this robot vacuum cleaner will stay quiet (under 58 db) when it's cleaning.
- 【FREE FLOOR TRANSITION & INTELLIGENT SENSOR】-You don't need to babysit your vacuum cleaner, this auto vacuum can fix problems by itself. It has excellent off roading capability, which means that it can traverse different floor types without needing help. Adopting 360° anti-Collision and anti-drop technology, this hardwood floor vacuum can effectively prevent any unnecessary crash and drop. In this way, Amarey A800 robot vacuum is able to clean between wood floor, tile, and carpet.
- 【MULTIPLE CLEANING MODES & CLEANING SCHEDULE】-Adopting 4 cleaning modes which are automatic, spot, max vacuuming and edge cleaning, this automatic robot vacuum cleaner can be adjusted by the Remote Control in order to fulfill your different needs. You can also set schedules for this robot vacuum to wake up and start a cleaning job, so that it can start working while you're out of the house.
- 【SUPER THIN & TTRIPLE FILTERS 】- The pet hair robot vacuum is fairly compact (2.7inch super thin ). It's able to travel underneath most couches, tables and beds to clean hidden area. This robot vacuum use triple filters(washable Pre-filter/Sponge/ High-efficiency filter), side brushes, and spinning brushes that will do an equally good job of cleaning your home.
- 【LONG WORKING TIME & SELF-CHARGING 】-Powered by a 2600mAh high-capacity Li-ion battery, this robot vacuum cleaner can work up to 100 minutes when fully charged, which means it clean a house of 1400 sq.ft continuously at a time. Amarey A800 robot vacuum will return to its charging dock automatically before it runs out of juice or after finishing its cleaning.
- Capacity volume: 0.62 liter; Power Lifting Suction delivers 5X the air power for improved pick up performance
- Premium 3 stage cleaning system loosens, lifts, and suctions dirt, dust, and pet hair; The auto adjust cleaning head adapts its height to keep the multi surface brushes in close contact with different floor surfaces, directly engaging with both hard floors and carpets
- Dual multi surface rubber brushes instantly adjust and flex to stay in constant contact with floors
- Patented Dirt Detect sensors alert Roomba to work harder on concentrated areas of dirt, such as high traffic zones of your home
- Clean and schedule from anywhere with the iRobot home App; compatible with Alexa and the Google Assistant
Buying Guide: Which Robot Vacuum Cleaner to Buy?
The broom, dustpan, and brush are no longer an option for cleaning the house, unless you prefer spending hours and hours each week on it.
What if we replace all those inefficient and unneeded things with an automatic vacuum cleaner that leaves your house ready without you having to worry?
It’s an investment to improve your quality of life which will save many hours of your time. So, you will have more time to spend with your family, or on your hobbies or work.
While it’s true that you will always have to do some general cleaning from time to time unless you buy a high-end robot vacuum cleaner, these appliances undoubtedly save you a lot of time.
What Is a Robot Cleaner?
Although the name is quite precise, it won’t hurt to give more details and broaden the idea a bit. A robot vacuum cleaner – in English called robovac (robotic vacuum cleaner) – is a vacuum cleaner for cleaning, generally for domestic use due to its limited power. It also has the characteristic of being a robot since it’s possible to program tasks and instructions, which the robovac will follow, thus doing all the work autonomously. This autonomy includes mobility which means that the robot vacuum cleaner is capable of moving and making decisions on its own, though always based on the programmed instructions.
Fortunately or unfortunately, these robots don’t have the shape that comes to mind when we hear the word “robot.” They are not humanoid nor have feet or arms. They are rather small and operate at floor level. Moreover, they generally use tires to get around, have a circular or oval shape, and their approximate size ranges between 20 and 40 centimeters in diameter. Robot vacuum cleaners fall within the broader category of home robots.
Types of Robot Vacuum Cleaners for Cleaning
The world of robot vacuum cleaners continues to evolve by leaps and bounds, and today, there are several types of models depending on your needs, including:
- Robotic vacuum cleaners: They are the typical automatic vacuum cleaners. Their functions include vacuuming the dust and dirt from the house.
- Floor scrubbing or mopping robots: This is a type of robot vacuum cleaner that uses water and detergent to brush the floor, and then sucks all that water to leave the floor clean and dry.
- Mop robots: This type of automatic vacuum cleaner uses a dry or wet mop on the floor, but it doesn’t vacuum dirt.
- Hybrid robots: These are robots which, in addition to vacuuming dirt and dust, can also pass a wet or dry mop on the floor. They are new robot vacuum cleaner models that come on the market with increased frequency.
How Much Does a Good Robot Vacuum Cleaner Cost?
It depends on the type of automatic robot you want to buy. Nevertheless, the price is always important when it comes to this type of product because it’s the key indicator of the product’s quality. Usually, the models aren’t expensive if they aren’t high-quality ones and including special technology for sweeping and scrubbing the house to perfection. In other words, the higher the quality of the cleaning robot is, the higher the price is as the cost is proportional to the quality and durability.
Does this mean a cheap robot vacuum cleaner is not a good option? Actually, that’s not always true. Sometimes, you can find high-quality models for a lower price, if buying on sale. However, you should keep in mind that the price does go hand in hand with the quality of the product. Namely, if you choose a robotic vacuum cleaner that is cheaper, it will have only the basic features and functions, and it won’t be too long before it starts having problems. Therefore, you should always choose a model that is neither too pricey nor too cheap.
It’s recommended to choose a model between $200 and $300 if you want a product with basic features and functions. If you want a more advanced model, you should choose one between $300 and $500.
Keep in mind that it’s always recommended to buy a quality and durable product because the cheap ones break fast and you have to spend money on repairs or buying a new one.
Parts of an Automatic Vacuum Cleaner
Not all smart vacuum cleaners have these components, but they are the most common ones.
It’s one of the most important elements since the autonomy of the automatic vacuum cleaner depends on it. Usually, the battery lasts between 2h and 4h.
2. Charging Base
This charging base is a part that the vacuum cleaner uses to charge itself. Whenever the battery is low, the robot vacuum cleaner will go to its charging center to recharge, so it can continue its cleaning process.
It’s the part of the appliance that accumulates all the dirt and dust collected from the floor. The deposit is often one of the factors which contribute to a higher price of the product. It’s because the higher the price is, the more efficient the smart vacuum cleaner is, and vice versa.
It’s the part that captures all dirt particles, pollen, or other allergens in the soil. Normally, the filter must be changed from time to time to stay effective.
The wheels allow the robot vacuum cleaner to move around the house. There are usually 3 or 4 wheels, depending on the model.
Smart vacuum cleaners usually have two types of sensors: infrared sensors and fall sensors. The infrared sensors measure the proximity of the vacuum cleaner to an object or obstacle, such as a wall or furniture, to avoid it and prevent a collision. The fall sensors, on the other hand, detect the distance of the vacuum cleaner from the ground so that it doesn’t fall down the stairs or a similar area.
Maintenance of Your Sweeping Robot
This type of product is intended for domestic use and it’s not used in basements, warehouses, or industrial areas. Also, it requires some maintenance, so it can live as long as possible. Here are several tips on how to maintain your robot vacuum cleaner.
- Maintenance of filters and brushes: You should clean the filter and empty the tank after every use; otherwise, it will reduce the suction capacity of the vacuum cleaner. You should also remove the brushes and clean them by taking a special look at the bearings and roller edges where more dirt accumulates.
- Maintenance of the wheels of the vacuum cleaner: It’s advisable to clean the wheels of the vacuum cleaner, especially the front ones so that they work correctly. To do this, you need to remove each wheel and clean it from hair or other dirt that is stuck in it. This will prevent future movement problems.
- Vacuum Sensor Maintenance: If a lot of dirt accumulates in the sensor areas, it may prevent the sensors from working properly. Therefore, you should always check for particles that may accumulate in the fall or obstacle sensors.
- Battery maintenance: To achieve the best performance and efficiency of the vacuum cleaner, it’s recommended to charge the battery for 14 hours before using it for the first time and in the 3 subsequent charges, if your robot vacuum cleaner returns to the base more and more often. It’s nice to have a spare battery you can use while the original one is charging.
Following these tips can extend the life of your robot vacuum cleaner.
Questions and Answers about Robot Sweepers and Floor Cleaners
What is the Best-Selling Robot Cleaner?
Although not always the best product, it’s good to know which model is the best-seller. It will give you hints on what people are mostly looking for, either for quality or price, or even both. So if you are looking for a robot vacuum cleaner, you might want to know the one that most people have bought. Keeping in mind that the best-seller isn’t always the right choice for you, I’ll tell you which is the best-selling robot vacuum cleaner.
The best-selling robot vacuum cleaner is the Conc Excellence from Cecotec. Perhaps it’s good value for money is the reason for this. Without any disrespect to this popular model, I recommend you choose one of those listed previously. According to the popularity, the iRobot Roomba 650, is the best-selling model of those recommended above, being the third robot vacuum cleaner with most registered sales.
What is the Quietest Floor Cleaning Robot?
It may be a coincidence, but the quietest robot vacuum cleaner on the market is not circular, but square. It’s the iRobot brand, which makes really nice and efficient vacuum cleaners, although they aren’t completely silent. Actually, no brand has made a completely silent vacuuming robot yet. However, iRobot have managed to reduce the noise produced when operating.
You might not know this, but excessive noise, which all vacuum cleaners produce is one of the reasons why people turned to automatic vacuum cleaners.
Without further ado, the quietest robot vacuum cleaner model is the LG Hombot Square. It has an average noise value of 60 decibels, which is quite tolerable and doesn’t hurt your ears. Although it may seem so, its square shape isn’t related to the noise it makes. Rather, it’s related to a design aspect that allows it to differentiate itself from the other models by its shape and its ability to reach corners, which is something other models cannot clean. This model is the quietest there is for now. Hopefully, soon we can buy one that barely makes a sound.
Who Invented Smart and Pneumatic Vacuum Robots?
When it comes to this question, the truth is still untold. According to what is known, the first prototype that is registered is the Electrolux Trilobite is from the Swedish firm Electrolux and appeared in 1996. Five years later, in 2001, the British company Dyson released their model called DC06, which was too expensive to release it on the market. The massive robot vacuum cleaners were manufactures by the renowned iRobot.
In2002, iRobot surprised the world with Roomba, a functional robot vacuum cleaner that was also marketable. The authorship of this robot is controversial and, I would say, shared. I believe that those who designed the Roomba are the ones who gave the world vacuum robots that are accessible and not just a prototype no one could have. On one hand, there’s Helen Greiner, who was inspired by the robot from the Star Wars saga to design the Roomba. She has also made prototypes and designs of robots for military purposes. On the other hand, there’s Joe Jones, who was one of the first iRobot employees and was very involved in its development. Still, the answer to the authorship question remains unclear.
Advantages of Autonomous Vacuum Cleaners
Some of the advantages when buying a robot vacuum cleaner are:
- Autonomy of the appliance: A point in favor of these automatic vacuum cleaners is that they charge themselves. When their battery is very low, they go to their charging base themselves. So, you don’t have to worry about their state or think about their charging all the time When it’s recharged, it continues to clean the floor where it left off before going to its loading center.
- They are programmable: The models that are above $216 have an option to be programmed for cleaning at a certain time. In this way, you can have the house cleaned while at work.
- Cleaning very dirty carpets or floors: Thanks to their advanced technology, many of these models clean carpets, avoid obstacles, or clean areas of the floor more efficiently if they detect more dirt than normal. For instance, if your dog comes home full of dirt or your child spills something on the ground, your robot vacuum cleaner will clean all surfaces more efficiently, ensuring they are perfectly clean.
- Cleaning in hard-to-reach areas: These devices are very small and can get to areas that are otherwise difficult to clean, such as under the sofa, the beds, or the bedside tables. And, if they have a square shape, they can also clean corners.